This is the second book in the "Classical Knowledge Series", which is a collection of selected scholarly works from the past that deal with the subject of religious knowledge. The first book in this blessed series was The Book of Knowledge written by Imaam Abu Khaithamah Zuhayr bin Harb An-Nasaaee (Died 234H), may Allaah have mercy on him.
Since that book served as an introduction to knowledge, its virtues, merits and manners, it seemed proper that the second book be dedicated to the next level of knowledge, which is its result and outcome, and that is righteous deeds. And what better work to present on this subject than the classic and well-known treatise of the distinguished Imaam, Al-Khateeb Al-Baghdaadee, Iqtidaa-ul-Ilm al-Amal (Knowledge Mandates Action).
In this treatise, the author gathers over 200 narrations from the Prophet, his Companions and the pious predecessors on the virtue and obligation of acting upon knowledge. Thus the work serves as an inspiration and encouragement to the readers, guiding them to transfer whatever knowledge they gain of Islaam into good deeds and righteous actions. You will find this book filled with beautiful admonitions and golden words of advice from our righteous predecessors, inciting us to acquire knowledge and to then put it into practice by way of acts of worship.
In addition to this, the great scholar of Hadeeth of recent times, Imaam Muhammad Naasir-ud-Deen Al-Albaanee, has reviewed the treatise and verified the narrations contained within it, distinguishing the authentic from the weak. So this treatise is of great benefit and deserving of being read and studied by every Muslim, whether in gatherings or individually.
Lastly, due to the nature of verifying narrations, many terms related to the Science of Hadeeth were employed by Imaam Al-Albaanee throughout the footnotes in the treatise. Explanations of these terms and concepts can be found in the Glossary section at the back of the book.
We ask Allaah to make this publication a guiding light to those who read it and an invaluable resource of reference for those who study it and use it for research.
Important Note: This book contains the Arabic text for all of its narrations including the vowelization of all letters so as to make it an easy to study reference-guide. It is the perfect book for people to study in gatherings and circles or for one to just read on his own and encourage himself to act upon his knowledge. May Allaah accept this effort.
About the Author: Al-Khateeb Al-Baghdaadee was one of the Imaams of Ahlus-Sunnah who is reknowned and reputed for his high position in the subject of Hadeeth. He has authored many books about the etiquettes, manners and guidance on seeking knowledge and Hadeeth, this particular book being one of them
(1) Field Testing the Communication of Divine Message: The unique feature of this translation is its field testing for over 3 1/2 years to improve the communication and understanding of the Divine Message. Translation passages were given to the New Muslim and Non-Muslim high school and college students for reading under the supervision of various Ulema (scholars). After reading, the person was asked to explain as to what he/she understood from the passage. If his/her understanding was the same as is in the Arabic Text of the Holy Qur'an then we concluded that we have been successful in conveying the Divine Message properly. If his/her understanding was different than what the Qur'anic verses were stating, we kept on rewording the translation until those verses were understood properly. It was tremendous patience on part of the participants. May Allah reward them all.
(2) Simplicity: In this translation Simple Language and Direct Approach is used for appealing to the common sense of scholars and common people.
(3) Understandability: There are no foot notes to refer and no commentary or lengthy explanations to read. All necessary explanations have been incorporated right there in the text with italic type setting to differentiate from the translation of the meanings of Qur'anic Arabic Text.
(4) Outline of Pertinent Information: Before the start of each Srah, information relating to its Period of Revelation, Major Issues, Divine Laws and Guidance has been presented as an outline. Then a summary of the preceding events has been tabulated for the reader to understand the histo! rical background to grasp the full meaning of the Divine Message.
(5) Reviews, Input and Approvals: This project was started in 1991 and initial draft completed in 1994. Then the Translation was sent to different Ulema (Scholars) in Town and throughout United States for their review and input. After their reviews and input it was sent to Jme Al-Azhar Al-Sharif in Egypt, Ummal Qur in Saudi Arabia and International Islamic University in Pakistan for their review, input and approval. This translation was published after their reviews and approvals.