Within each of us resides a spark of unparalleled brilliance, an unlimited capacity for warmth, openness, and courage, which Rinpoche identifies as “essence love.” Timeless and imperishable, essence love is often layered over by patterns of behavior and belief that urge us to seek happiness in conditions or situations that never quite live up to their promise.
Drawing on rarely discussed teachings of Tibetan Buddhism, Rinpoche describes how such patterns evolve and offers a series of meditation exercises to help us unravel them and, in the process, reawaken an energy and exuberance that can not only bring lasting fulfillment to our lives but ultimately serve to enliven and inspire the entire world, as well.
With great humor, intelligence, and candor, Tsoknyi Rinpoche also details his own struggles to reconnect with essence love. Identified at an early age as the incarnation of a renowned Tibetan master and subjected to a rigorous monastic training, he ultimately renounced his vows, married, and is now the father of two daughters.
As he recounts his own efforts to strike a balance between the promptings of his heart and an obligation to preserve and protect the teachings of Tibetan Buddhism, Rinpoche provides a bridge between ancient wisdom and modern life, and encourages each of us to rediscover the openness, fearlessness, and love that is the essence of our own life.
From the Hardcover edition.
Realizing the Universal Spirituality of the Ages
Threefold Enlightening is the ancient, timeless realization at the heart of so many time-honoured spiritual and religious traditions around the world. These have all revealed a core, threefold reality of supreme spirituality, whose essence can be distilled to boundless Love, boundless Awareness and boundless Being - relating to the heart, mind and body alike.
Now Ajnanda Shon, an acknowledged spiritual teacher, reveals the mystery of Threefold Enlightening in a clear and succinct, yet profound way. So the book offers a spectrum of insights, showing:
* The 3 aspects of universal spirituality across so many spiritual and religious traditions.
* The consistent threefold nature of the brain, the psyche, the ego and life experience, all relating to Threefold Enlightening.
* Reveals how realizing the Now precedes realizing the Infinite itself and the relationship between them.
* How spiritual realization can be holistic as boundless Love, Being and Awareness and the way these relate to each other and how they are one.
* How ego's illusion of separation works in the emotions and in the body, below the radar of Awakening as Awareness alone.
* How Threefold Enlightening relates to the Higher Yogas, Buddhism, Advaita / Non-duality, Christianity, the New Age and to the general spiritual search.
* The phases of realisation from initial glimpsing to ongoing liberation.
* The 8 degrees spanning the entire spiritual process and how they evolve in realising an Infinite reality that we are all a part of.
* Explains why freedom from emotions or suffering, such as anger, fear, grief and regret and anxiety is possible and a manifestation of realized life.
* Describes the many benefits of Threefold Enlightening including freedom from mental noise, deep emotional suffering and aching physical cravings.
* Shows initial effortless practices to trigger realisation of boundless Love, Awareness & Being.
* How realisation and its lifelong impact can be increasingly effortless as causeless peace, bliss, meaning and fulfillment.
* Why it is possible to directly know the meaning of life and existence, the purpose and sacredness of everything and the necessity of tragedy in boundless compassion.
“Looking at the infinite light of your own Consciousness
Listening to the boundless silence of your Being
Feeling the causeless bliss of your Love
Such is Threefold Enlightening.”
“When it encounters the carefree, there is overflowing joy.
When it encounters the tragic, there is true compassion.
Whichever it is, the underlying sense of bliss that all is truly well is always present. Not that everything is ideal or somehow "perfect".
It is just that everything is as it has to be. That reality, with cause and effect, is unfolding how it must unfold.
And how everything must unfold for liberation to happen, often only through suffering.
Spiritual liberation as boundless Love brings the healing of the pain. It dissolves sorrow to reveal the unity of Love in radiant bliss.
Even so, accepting everything as it is, Love still acts to change what it can, wherever it can, whenever it can. For Love is both the luminous field in which we are and the flow of energy of compassion.
It is the purpose of existence. As Saint Paul said "Love is sufficient unto itself." In being Love, we realize our own meaning. The meaning of life beyond words."
Time passes through boundless Awareness, as all phenomena does. But that is not all.
Awareness perceives the ever present moment, the Now, as the unbroken thread uniting the past, present and future as one.
Time and distance are compressed to zero. So the sense of the timeless emerges in realization.
With realization, here and now is everywhere and timeless. Even if life is busy, full of events, the passing of time feels as if it comes to a halt. Timelessness
Universality is beyond interreligious harmony and outstrips eclecticism. It breathes free, grows, and expands in the rare and exalted atmosphere of the open mind of the sincere and dedicated aspirant. Like the headiness of breathless heights one feels on pilgrimage in the Himalayan mountains, or the inspiration felt by taking pilgrimage to Jerusalem, or the power present when going on Hajj to Mecca, just so Universality verily transports the human mind to lofty experiences of Consciousness felt nowhere else — not even in the life heavens or the causal realms!