This book explains each step of the civil litigation process from pre-litigation investigation through trial on the merits to give you the best chance of prevailing in your efforts whether you are a plaintiff or a defendant. Its detailed explanations of the various requirements of the litigation process are supported with detailed checklists that insure you leave nothing to chance as you work through the process and help you avoid the costly mistakes pro se litigants commonly make as they fight their lawsuits.
Whether you are a plaintiff or defendant and whether you decide to employ a lawyer or represent yourself, this book gives you the information you need to make sure that you have the best chance of prevailing as you proceed.
Ervin Gonzalez, an outstanding, nationally recognized trial attorney, generously shares his valuable practice strategies and guidance in this thorough, easily digestible manual.
Highlights of this edition include recent rule amendments addressing:
• case management conference requirements;
• electronic filing of pleadings;
• electronic service of pleadings and documents; and
• computation of time.
Additionally, new articles and case law are discussed addressing issues such as:
• disqualification of judges;
• discovery of electronically stored information and privileged information;
• remedies for failure to comply with discovery orders;
• motions for summary judgment and responses thereto; and
• exceptions to the right of voluntary dismissal.