This is a free digital copy of a book that has been carefully scanned by Google as part of a project to make the world's books discoverable online. To make this print edition available as an ebook, we have extracted the text using Optical Character Recognition (OCR) technology and submitted it to a review process to ensure its accuracy and legibility across different screen sizes and devices. Google is proud to partner with libraries to make this book available to readers everywhere.
The original flavour of this classic has been carefully retained in this abridged version.
American Notes for General Circulation
Bardell v. Pickwick
The Battle of Life
A Child's History of England
A Christmas Carol
The Cricket on the Hearth
Dombey and Son
George Silverman's Explanation
Going into Society
The Haunted Man and the Ghost's Bargin
A House to Let
The Lazy Tour of Two Idle Apprentices
Life And Adventures Of Martin Chuzzlewit
Master Humphrey's Clock
A Message from the Sea
Mrs. Lirriper's Legacy
Mrs. Lirriper's Lodgings
Mudfog and Other Sketches
The Mystery of Edwin Drood
The Life And Adventures Of Nicholas Nickleby
The Old Curiosity Shop
Our Mutual Friend
The Perils of Certain English Prisoners
The Pickwick Papers
Pictures from Italy
Sketches of Young Couples
Sketches of Young Gentlemen
Some Christmas Stories
Sunday Under Three Heads
A Tale of Two Cities
Three Ghost Stories
To be Read at Dusk
Tom Tiddler's Ground
The Uncommercial Traveller
The Wreck of the Golden Mary
After eighteen years as a political prisoner in the Bastille the aging Dr Manette is finally released and reunited with his daughter in England. There two very different men, Charles Darnay, an exiled French aristocrat, and Sydney Carton, a disreputable but brilliant English lawyer, become enmeshed through their love for Lucie Manette. From the tranquil lanes of London, they are all drawn against their will to the vengeful, bloodstained streets of Paris at the height of the Reign of Terror and soon fall under the lethal shadow of La Guillotine.
Pip, a poor orphan being raised by a cruel sister, does not have much in the way of great expectations—until he is inexplicably elevated to wealth by an anonymous benefactor. Full of unforgettable characters—including a terrifying convict named Magwitch, the eccentric Miss Havisham, and her beautiful but manipulative niece, Estella, Great Expectations is a tale of intrigue, unattainable love, and all of the happiness money can’t buy. “Great Expectations has the most wonderful and most perfectly worked-out plot for a novel in the English language,” according to John Irving, and J. Hillis Miller declares, “Great Expectations is the most unified and concentrated expression of Dickens’s abiding sense of the world, and Pip might be called the archetypal Dickens hero.”
INCLUDES A MODERN LIBRARY READING GROUP GUIDE
As a small boy at Joe Gargery's forge, Pip meets two people who will affect his whole life - an escaped convict he is forced to help, and the eccentric Miss Haversham, whose beautiful, cold-hearted ward Estella young Pip adores. But when a secret benefactor pays for him to go to London to become a gentleman, Pip never dreams he will meet the dreadful Magwitch again, nor just how wrong his expectations are.
With a light-hearted introduction by bestselling author Anthony Horowitz, creator of the highly successful Alex Rider novels, most recently Snakehead.
Set against the backdrop of the 18th century French Revolution, Charles Dickens's epic novel A Tale of Two Cities is a classic literary treasure. The Holman Christian Classics Enhanced eBook Edition takes you deep into the story to discover all this rich book has to offer. Complete with Plot Summaries and Character Sketches, this enhanced version is worth its weight in gold.
Now, for the first time ever in digital format, we've added Christian Connections which uncover the parallels in Dickens's classic and The Bible, delving into themes such as prayer, redemption, and resurrection. What's more, we've also added 15 discussion questions to really get you thinking. Also included are gorgeous images of 18th century London and Paris, Charles Dickens, and his family.
This Holman Christian Classics Edition is the definitive digital version of this literary classic. Whether you are a student or a lover of classic literature, you will be hard pressed to find a better way to experience A Tale of Two Cities.
* ALL 15 Novels and ALL illustrated with the original Victorian images
* Each text is annotated with concise introductions, giving valuable contextual information
* each novel and story collection has its own contents table
* Special Bonus text of Henry Morford’s classic continuation of Edwin Drood – finish the novel at last!
* all of the Christmas stories and novellas with their original artwork
* the complete poetry, plays, letters and speeches
* ALL of the collaborative works with other authors – even the very rare ones
* beautifully illustrated with hundreds of Dickensian images
* rare images of how the monthly serials first appeared, giving your eReader a taste of the original texts
* includes bonus Pickwickiana text – Montcrieff’s drama SAM WELLER, giving a taste of the Victorian craze – available nowhere else as a digital book
* includes John Forster's biography of Dickens; explore the great writer's amazing life!
* features MEMOIRS OF JOSEPH GRIMALDI by Thomas Egerton Wilks, which Dickens edited in his early career - first time in digital print.
* includes no less than FIVE more biographies, including Mamie Dickens’ memoir MY FATHER AS I RECALL HIM
* boasts a special criticism section, with essays by writers such as Virginia Woolf, G.K. Chesterton, Andrew Lang and Henry James, examining Dickens’ contribution to literature
* includes an Adaptations section, featuring Hallie Erminie Rives’ TALES FROM DICKENS and rare theatrical adaptations of the novels
* UPDATED with larger images - enjoy the original illustrations in detail!
* this truly is the Dickensian’s perfect eBook!
Please visit www.delphiclassics.com for the full detailed list and to browse our range of exciting classic titles
A DINNER AT POPLAR WALK
ALL THE NOVELS
JOHN JASPER’S SECRET BY HENRY MORFORD
The Christmas Novellas
A CHRISTMAS CAROL
THE CRICKET ON THE HEARTH
THE BATTLE OF LIFE
THE HAUNTED MAN AND THE GHOST’S BARGAIN
The Short Stories
LIST OF SHORT STORIES
The Short Story Collections
SKETCHES BY BOZ
ORIGINAL PUBLISHED ORDER OF THE SKETCHES
MASTER HUMPHREY'S CLOCK
The Collaborative Works
ALLTHE COLLABORATIVE WORKS
THE STRANGE GENTLEMAN
THE VILLAGE COQUETTES
IS SHE HIS WIFE? OR, SOMETHING SINGULAR!
MR. NIGHTINGALE’S DIARY
THE FROZEN DEEP
LIST OF THE POETRY
PICTURES FROM ITALY
THE LIFE OF OUR LORD
A CHILD’S HISTORY OF ENGLAND
THE UNCOMMERCIAL TRAVELLER
THE COMPLETE SPEECHES
THE COMPLETE LETTERS
MISCELLANEOUS PAPERS and many more
TALES FROM DICKENS BY HALLIE ERMINIE RIVES
MANY ESSAYS BY FAMOUS WRITERS AND CRITICS
THE LIFE OF CHARLES DICKENS BY JOHN FORSTER
DICKENS BY SIR ADOLPHUS WILLIAM WARD
LIFE OF CHARLES DICKENS BY SIR FRANK T. MARZIALS
VICTORIAN WORTHIES: CHARLES DICKENS BY G.H. BLORE
DICKENS' LONDON BY M. F. MANSFIELD
MY FATHER AS I RECALL HIM BY MAMIE DICKENS