- The basic methodologies and theoretical controversies in the study of Chinese politics.
- The major dimensions, structures, processes, functions and characteristics of the Chinese political system, such as ideology, politics, law, society, economy, and foreign policy.
- The impact of power, ideology, and organization on different spheres of Chinese society.
- The structure, process, and factors in Chinese foreign policy making.
- Whether China is a "strategic partner" or "potential threat" to the United States.
By examining contending theoretical models in the study of Chinese politics, this book combines an essentialist approach that keeps focus on the fundamental, unique and defining features of Chinese politics and government with other theoretical approaches or analytical models which reveal and explore the complexities inherent in the Chinese political system.
Extensively illustrated, the textbook includes maps, photographs and diagrams, as well as providing questions for class discussions and suggestions for further reading. Written by an experienced academic with working knowledge of the Chinese Government, this textbook will provide students with a comprehensive introduction to all aspects of Chinese Politics.