In this book a teacher of insight meditation offers personal testament, healing words, and wise instruction to help meet the suffering that comes with catastrophic life events. Speaking openly about his own struggles with memories of childhood sexual abuse and with the HIV diagnosis he received in 1989, Gavin Harrison reveals how compassion offers refuge and help for all who suffer from similar crises of body, heart, and spirit. Among the topics covered are:
- Dealing with fear, anger, and self-hatred
- Working with difficult relationships
- Confronting physical pain and the fear of death
- Transforming the legacy of sexual abuse
- The question of karma and "Why me?"
- Grappling with issues of faith, freedom, hope, and miracles
- Basic insight meditation instructions, plus guided meditations for forgiveness, compassion, and equanimity