In this book, two world-renowned consultants preview the industry’s future—from online gaming to telehealthcare, and beyond. Next, they present a powerful new blueprint, offering indispensable guidance on everything from technology platforms to user interface design, branding to channel strategies. You’ll discover how to uncover new sources of value, design better models for doing business, and fuel growth by reaching new geographical markets. Whatever your role in the industry, this book will help you:
· Make better decisions, find your differentiators, and focus on your key success drivers
· Tap into the emergent “meta-value” that arises when technologies, devices, services, and content come together
· Reach tomorrow’s smart, service-sensitive shopper: not just the “technology-hungry” customers
· Widen margins by adding value consumers will pay for
· Transform cost structures to support rapid growth and nonstop change
· Sell into China, India, and other fast-growing emerging markets
· Preview “telehealthcare”: the surprising application for the living room
· Gain new insights into online gaming, smart home technology, and more
· Discover the immense power of IBM’s Cell Broadband Engine processor—and the business opportunities it enables
· Leverage embedded Linux to build more affordable, profitable, consumer-centric products
· Develop higher-value software for connected consumer electronics
· Differentiate products through state-of-the-art design and user interfaces
· Discover what the industry’s “winners” will look like in five years—and how to be one of them
The consumer electronics industry continues to grow at breakneck speed: from MP3 players to home healthcare devices, consumers are adopting new technologies faster than ever before. But most consumer electronics companies are struggling with razor-thin margins, or even losses. Their traditional business models simply aren’t working anymore. In Irresistible! Markets, Models, and Meta-Value in Consumer Electronics, IBM’s leading consumer electronic industry consultants reveal powerful new opportunities to profit—and offer realistic advice for leveraging them.
Drawing on their experience working with innovators from Helsinki to Osaka, the authors and contributors introduce revolutionary On Demand Business models for improving profitability, and identify tomorrow’s most profitable CE opportunities. They cover every element of success: technology, design, service, branding, channel strategies, and much more. Whether you’re an executive or engineer, strategist or entrepreneur, this book will help you find your differentiators, focus on your key success drivers—and become one of this industry’s big long-term winners!
The holiday season brings the chance to give, and what better gift is there than one of the most beloved stories in the English language? This year, we at Atria Books are offering a free ebook edition of Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol, the perfect companion for a cozy night by the fire.
Since its publication in 1843, A Christmas Carol and the miserly Ebenezer Scrooge have become literary classics. Illuminated with practical scholarship and questions for discussion, this edition makes a charming package that includes the facts behind the fiction, as well as the pure joy and magic of this timeless tale about the true meaning of Christmas.
The Last Temptation of Clarence Odbody restores the dark undercurrent of the Van Doren Stern’s short story “The Greatest Gift” to the uplifting plot of Capra’s film, and explores how the familiar characters in it might respond to the dire circumstances created by George Bailey’s disappearance from their lives. The paths of an introspective cab driver, a ruthless henchman, and a wayward daughter collide nearly twenty years later in the town that defined their reputations for better or for worse.
up where the movie left off, but veers quickly into dark, unfamiliar territory.
Old George Bailey never did make it out of his little town
of Bedford Falls; his one dying hope was that his children would take up the
torch and explore the world as he'd always dreamed of doing … but, sadly, none
shared his dream.
This is a story about search and redemption. Spanning four
decades and five continents, it is a tale of renewal, obsession, presage,
ambition; of self-inflicted isolation and dwindling friendships in the 20th
century: a century whose task is to rediscover its gods.