Glen Cavaliero, born 1927, read Modern History at Magdalen College, Oxford. He was ordained in the Ministry of the Church of England 1952 and read English at St Catharine’s College, Cambridge, in 1965, where he has since taught for the Faculty of English. He obtained a Ph.D. (Cantab.) in 1972 and has been a Fellow Commoner of St Catharine’s college since 1986, as well as a Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature 1986.