Penetrate the facts behind the speculation on optical networking’s promise as a potential solution to skyrocketing Internet traffic. With Steve Shepard’s Optical Networking Crash Course, you’ll discover what’s what, who’s who, and how it all works together in the speed-of-light world of optical networking. From technologies, equipment, companies and competitors to nitty-gritty issues such as security, signal sinks, backhoe fade, add-drop mix and much, much more, this state-of-the-art guide is a must-read if you want to:
Compare optical and other strategies such as cable, DSL, and LMDS
Understand optical technology means, methods, potentials, and constraints
Learn what DWDM (Dense Wave Division Multiplexing) is and why it could change everything
Get straight answers on optical transport issues, routing, switching and more.
Meeting this challenge is the focus of Developing IP-Based Services. The only book of its kind devoted exclusively to IP-based services, it provides a blueprint for all the engineers, managers, and analysts who must come together to build these services and bring them online.
Inside, you'll find just the right balance of business and technical coverage, introduced with a lucid discussion of the principles of service development and wrapped up with three case studies illustrating effective provisioning in today's marketplace. Read the chapters relating to your role, and you'll play it more successfully. Have your team read the entire book, and you'll achieve a level of collaboration and shared understanding that will quickly accrue to the bottom line.
* Valuable insight from authors with extensive service provisioning and product development experience.
* Written for business and technical readers at a wide range of companies, including established telecoms, ISPs, ASPs, Clecs, bandwidth brokers, and vendors.
* Probes the business issues that will make or break your effort, including shortening the development cycle and choosing a competitive model.
* Provides the technical coverage required for successful implementation, according to the terms of the business model you choose.
* Focuses on the IP technologies that offer your service and its users the greatest value, including MPLS, Voice Over IP, and multicast.
* Helps you meet tough challenges relating to security and Quality of Service.
* Concludes with case studies illustrating successful service development and deployment in three companies.