The following articles appear in this autumn/winter 2015 special edition, "The Word of God":
1. The Authority and Utility of the Scriptures – Hugh Binning. The necessity of learning and practising what the Bible teaches is shown from 2 Timothy 3:16-17.
2. The Duty of Searching the Scriptures – George Whitefield. In which Whitefield illustrates the two great messages of the Scripture (our fallen nature and the grace of God) and gives directions on how to make time spent in Scripture most profitable. Based on John 5:39.
3. The Great Worth of Scripture Knowledge – Francis Roberts. Roberts gives seven helpful directions on how to better read and understand the Word of God.
4. How the Word is to be Read and Heard – Thomas Boston. From Luke 8:18 ("Take heed therefore how ye hear"), Boston teaches how to prepare our hearts for receiving the Word, and how to apply it to our daily lives.
5. How We May Read the Scriptures with Most Spiritual Profit – Thomas Watson. Watson's own collection of twenty-four directions on how to read the Scripture for greatest benefit.
6. The Puritan Practice of Meditation – Drs. Joel R. Beeke and Mark Jones. To read the Scripture is not enough; it must permeate the mind and affect the heart. The authors show how the Puritans used meditation this effect.
"Movie stars and political leaders aren't the only ones turning to Rick Warren for spiritual guidance. Millions of people - from NBA and LPGA players to corporate executives to high school students to prison inmates - meet regularly to discuss The Purpose Driven Life.”
In The Purpose Driven Life you'll find the answers to three of life's most important questions:The Question of Existence: Why am I alive?The Question of Significance: Does my life matter?The Question of Purpose: What on earth am I here for?
Living out the purpose you were created for moves you beyond survival or success to a life of significance - the life you were meant to live.
You will discover the five benefits of knowing your purpose:It will explain the meaning of your life.It will simplify your life.It will focus your life.It will increase your motivation.It will prepare you for eternity.
The Purpose Driven Life is designed to be read in 42 short chapters that will inspire you to stop and realize how God uniquely designed you for a purpose only you can fulfill. It also includes links to 3-minute video introductions to each chapter and a 30 to 40-minute audio Bible study message for each chapter. There are also appendixes including questions for further study and additional resources.
Before you were born, God already planned your life. God longs for you to discover the life he created you to live - here on earth, and forever in eternity. Let The Purpose Driven Life show you how.
The Purpose Driven Life is available in audio book, ebook, softcover, and hardcover editions. Also available: The Purpose Driven Life video study and study guide, journal, devotional, book for kids, book for churches, Spanish edition, Large Print edition, and more.
Drawing from forty days of true stories, Mark Batterson applies the principles of his New York Times bestselling book The Circle Maker to teach us a new way to pray. As thousands of readers quickly became many tens of thousands, true stories of miraculous and inspiring answers to prayer began to pour in, and as those stories were shared, others were bolstered in their faith to pray with even more boldness.
In Draw the Circle, through forty true, faith-building stories of God’s answers to prayer, daily scriptures and prayer prompts, Batterson inspires you to pray and keep praying like never before. Begin a lifetime of watching God work. Believe in the God who can do all things. Experience the power of bold prayer and even bolder faith in Draw the Circle.