- Zazen, a type of meditation described as "sitting Zen"
- Face-to-face meetings between teacher and student
- Academic study of the sutras related to Zen training, other schools of Buddhism, Buddhist history, psychology, and philosophy
- Zen rites and rituals and their meaning
- The moral and ethical requirements set in the Buddhist Precepts
- Art practice as an extension of Zen practice
- Body practice as an extension of Zen practice
- Work as an active function of zazen
Beautifully illustrated with Loori's own photographs, this edition also includes a new introduction and an updated reading list.