In this easy-to-understand, practical sourcebook, you'll discover:
* Explanations of the fundamental concepts of transformers and motors
* Transformer connections and distribution systems
* Installation information for transformers and motors
* Preventive maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair tips and techniques
* Helpful illustrations, glossary, and appendices
* End-of-chapter quizzes to test your progress and understandingIn-depth source for installation, maintenance, troubleshooting, repairing and replacing transformers and motorsReviewed by the National Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee for the Electrical IndustryDesigned to train apprentice and journeyman electricians
* Learn how to install and maintain electrical power equipment in industrial settings
* Select and specify the right power system at the right price
* Provides the practical essentials for reliable operation of industrial electrical networks - covering switchgear, cabling and power correction factors
Vital aspects such as the modern cartridge fuse, types of relays, and the role of the current transformer are covered and the widely used inverse definite-minimum time overcurrent relay, the theory of the Merz-Price protection system and the development of the high-impedance relay system are critically examined. This new edition has come about in response to the dramatic change from the use of electro-magnetic relays to electronic and micro-processor relays which figure in practically all new installations. Therefore, although the theory and usage are the same, the application can be much improved owing to the increased range and accuracy and the added facilities provided with the modern relays. This book reflects the change and explains the technical advantages.
Now in print for over 80 years since initial publication in 1925 by Johnson & Phillips Ltd, the J & P Transformer Book continues to withstand the test of time as a key body of reference material for students, teachers, and all whose careers are involved in the engineering processes associated with power delivery, and particularly with transformer design, manufacture, testing, procurement, application, operation, maintenance, condition assessment and life extension.
Current experience and knowledge have been brought into this thirteenth edition with discussions on moisture equilibrium in the insulation system, vegetable based natural ester insulating fluids, industry concerns with corrosive sulphur in oil, geomagnetic induced current (GIC) impacts, transportation issues, new emphasis on measurement of load related noise, and enhanced treatment of dielectric testing (including Frequency Response Analysis), Dissolved Gas analysis (DGA) techniques and tools, vacuum LTCs, shunt and series reactors, and HVDC converter transformers. These changes in the thirteenth edition together with updates of IEC reference Standards documentation and inclusion for the first time of IEEE reference Standards, provide recognition that the transformer industry and market is truly global in scale.
-- From the foreword by Donald J. Fallon
Martin Heathcote is a consultant specializing in power transformers, primarily working for utilities. In this context he has established working relationships with transformer manufacturers on several continents. His background with Ferranti and the UK’s Central Electricity Generating Board (CEGB) included transformer design and the management and maintenance of transformer-based systems.
* The definitive reference for all involved in designing, installing, monitoring and maintaining high-voltage systems using power transformers (electricity generation and distribution sector; large-scale industrial applications)
* The classic reference work on power transformers and their applications: first published in 1925, now brought fully up to date in this thirteenth edition
* A truly practical engineering approach to design, monitoring and maintenance of power transformers – in electricity generation, substations, and industrial applications.
Provides a solid understanding of the theoretical aspects of power system engineering Instills a practical knowledge of large-scale power system analysis techniques Covers load characteristics, tariffs, power system stability, and more
Elements of Power Systemsis designed as an undergraduate-level textbook, but the book also makes a handy reference for practicing power engineers.
The continuity and quality of electricity delivered safely and economically by today’s and future’s electrical power networks are important for both developed and developing economies. The correct modelling of power system equipment and correct fault analysis of electrical networks are pre-requisite to ensuring safety and they play a critical role in the identification of economic network investments. Environmental and economic factors require engineers to maximise the use of existing assets which in turn require accurate modelling and analysis techniques. The technology described in this book will always be required for the safe and economic design and operation of electrical power systems.
The book describes relevant advances in industry such as in the areas of international standards developments, emerging new generation technologies such as wind turbine generators, fault current limiters, multi-phase fault analysis, measurement of equipment parameters, probabilistic short-circuit analysis and electrical interference.
*A fully up-to-date guide to the analysis and practical troubleshooting of short-circuit faults in electricity utilities and industrial power systems
*Covers generators, transformers, substations, overhead power lines and industrial systems with a focus on best-practice techniques, safety issues, power system planning and economics
*North American and British / European standards covered
The book starts with the general concepts of energy conversion and basic circuit elements, followed by a review of the mathematical tools. The discussion goes on to introduce the concepts of energy storage in magnetic field, electrical circuits used in rotary electro-mechanical devices and three-phase systems with their transformation. The book, further, makes the reader familiar with the modern aspects of analysis of machines like transient and dynamic operation of machines, asymmetrical and unbalanced operation of poly-phase induction machines, and finally gives a brief exposure to space phasor concepts.