The following articles appear in this autumn 2014 edition:
1. There Is An Answerableness Between the Greatness of the Misery of Hell and the Happiness of Heaven – by Jonathan Edwards. Edited by Don Kistler, who remarked that this was the best Edwards he has ever read, next to "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God".
2. How to Bear Afflictions – in which William Bates teaches from Hebrews 12:5 how to avoid the extremes of despising the chastening of the Lord, or fainting beneath it.
3. Let Not Sin Have Dominion Over You – Thomas Manton explores what is meant by allowing sin to "have dominion" over oneself, and why this state must be avoided. Edited by Peter Overduin.
4. The Great Usefulness of the Law – in which John Flavel illustrates the proper role of the law in bringing the sinner to salvation, then participating in his sanctification.
5. How We May Read the Scriptures with Most Spiritual Profit – Thomas Watson. Twenty-four eminently practical instructions for making time spent in the Word more meaningful.
This edition contains the following articles:
1. Be Not Soon Shaken in Mind - Thomas Manton. Based on 2 Thessalonians 2:2. From a series of eighteen sermons Manton preached on the end times, which is sadly now appropos given the recent stirrings over the Harold Camping debacle. Christians are not to doubt Christ's plain instruction, that no man would know the time of his return (Matthew 24:36).
2. Meditations of the Misery of a Man Not Reconciled to God in Christ - Lewis Bayly. A lengthy excerpt from The Practice of Piety which candidly and biblically addresses the error of now-shown-to-be-a-universalist Rob Bell's most recent book Love Wins; namely, that God will not set aside his justice to spare those who continue to unrepentantly spurn Christ's sacrifice.
3. The Art of Man-Fishing - Thomas Boston. The personal reflections of Thomas Boston on the importance of winning souls to Christ; presented in its entirety. J.I. Packer commends it as "worthy to stand on the same shelf as Baxter's Reformed Pastor."
4. The Dying Thief at Calvary Saved - John Flavel. An examination of the unique characteristics of this unlikely eleventh-hour salvation; this piece is informative to Christians who often wonder if a death-bed conversion is likely genuine or not.
5. An Examination of True Christian Sincerity - William Gurnall. An excerpt from The Christian in Complete Armour which is useful in helping the professing Christian probe his heart, to determine if his motives in coming to Christ are sincere or hypocritical, "Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith" (2 Corinthians 13:5).
"Movie stars and political leaders aren't the only ones turning to Rick Warren for spiritual guidance. Millions of people - from NBA and LPGA players to corporate executives to high school students to prison inmates - meet regularly to discuss The Purpose Driven Life.”
In The Purpose Driven Life you'll find the answers to three of life's most important questions:The Question of Existence: Why am I alive?The Question of Significance: Does my life matter?The Question of Purpose: What on earth am I here for?
Living out the purpose you were created for moves you beyond survival or success to a life of significance - the life you were meant to live.
You will discover the five benefits of knowing your purpose:It will explain the meaning of your life.It will simplify your life.It will focus your life.It will increase your motivation.It will prepare you for eternity.
The Purpose Driven Life is designed to be read in 42 short chapters that will inspire you to stop and realize how God uniquely designed you for a purpose only you can fulfill. It also includes links to 3-minute video introductions to each chapter and a 30 to 40-minute audio Bible study message for each chapter. There are also appendixes including questions for further study and additional resources.
Before you were born, God already planned your life. God longs for you to discover the life he created you to live - here on earth, and forever in eternity. Let The Purpose Driven Life show you how.
The Purpose Driven Life is available in audio book, ebook, softcover, and hardcover editions. Also available: The Purpose Driven Life video study and study guide, journal, devotional, book for kids, book for churches, Spanish edition, Large Print edition, and more.
With scripture and new personal reflections, the #1 New York Times bestselling author Sarah Young, brings Jesus’ message of joy—for today and every day. Experience true joy—now and always.
Life today is full of difficulties—loss, sadness, fear. In the midst of these challenges, joy often feels impossible or out of reach. But Jesus has more for His followers than a life of striving, pain, and discontent. He offers life abundant, life to the fullest, life brimming with joy! Jesus Always, the new 365-day devotional from bestselling author Sarah Young, was written as part of Sarah Young’s exploration of the promises of joy in scripture. Written as if Jesus Himself is speaking directly to the reader, Jesus Always invites you into a new way of living—a life of joy.
Reaching out with joy-filled reminders from the Word of God, these devotions will intimately and gently connect you with Jesus—the One who meets you where you are. Draw near to Him in Jesus Always.