Next to nothing is known about innate immunity. However, recent evidence suggests that collectins might bridge the gap between innate immunity and specific clonal immune responses. Collectins are soluble effector proteins that include serum mannose-binding protein, and lung surfactants A and D. They are considered to be ante-antibodies.
The genetics of immunoglobulins Diagnostic immunology Immune complex diseases Immune system modulators Lymphocyte and plasma cell malignancies The diagnosis of immunodeficiencies and secondary immunodeficiencies Applications of immunological assays to clinical diagnosis The diagnosis of disease in which the immune system plays a significant pathogenic role
Edited by a distinguished educator with an extensive research background, the book also reviews the diagnosis, pathogenesis, and management of autoimmune diseases, hypersensitivity diseases, multiple myeloma, and other lymphoid diseases, and primary and secondary immune deficiency diseases.
This new edition of Immunology: A Short Course:
• Has been fully revised and updated, with a brand new art program to help reinforce learning
• Includes a new chapter on Innate Immunity to reflect the growth in knowledge in this area
• Highlights important therapeutic successes resulting from targeted antibody therapies
• Includes end of chapter summaries and review questions, a companion website at www.wileyimmunology.com/coico featuring interactive flashcards, USMLE-style interactive MCQs, figures as PowerPoint slides, and case-based material to help understand clinical applications
Provides a highly visual, full-color description of the key immunologic and molecular processes with a fully updated, comprehensive, and consistent art program.
Helps readers grasp the details of experimental observationsthat form the basis for the science of immunology at the molecular, cellular, and whole-organism levels and draw the appropriate conclusions.
Includes summary boxes that assist with rapid review and mastery of key material.Features updates from cover to cover, including tumor immunity (tumor antigens, cancer immunotherapy), immune checkpoints, cytosolic sensors for DNA, non-canonical inflammasomes, prionization as a signaling mechanism, monogenic defects in immunity, and more.
Instant Notes in Immunology, Second Edition provides concise coverage of immunology at an undergraduate level, providing easy access to the core information in the field. The book covers all important areas in immunology in a format which is ideal for learning and rapid revision. Also features MCQs and answers test knowledge and understanding.
* NOW AVAILABLE ONLINE!
* Highly respected review series with an impact factor in 2003 of of 7.424 and ranked number 8/114
* Contains a 'hot' paper on "New Systems of Variablity and Diversity" by Gary Litman