About the author
Kim Emmerson was born in Haliburton in 1957 and graduated from Ryerson Polytechnical Institute in Toronto in 1978. He has worked at the family business, Emmerson Lumber Limited, his whole life and is proud of his “third generation” title. Kim and his wife Linda have 5 children. Kim has a number of hobbies, photography being one of them.
When the Lucas and Ritchie family built the first sawmill on the Drag River in 1864, little did they know that 150 years later, the land that was specially set aside as the “Mill Reserve” would still be used for the sale of lumber.
Alexander Niven spent a lot of time at the mill site, during social events, counting logs, or helping refurbish the mill in 1870. In 1946, Kim’s grandfather, W.O. Bailey (1887-1953), built a cement dam at the site of the wooden dam, and operated a veneer mill until 1959. The birthplace of the community has evolved into a retail building supply business known as Emmerson Lumber Limited. An extensive renovation of the dam was carried out by the Emmerson family in 2013. The heritage of the site is therefore still enjoyed today by visitors to the walkway along the river.