This entertaining and informative guide introduces readers to the amazing world of ancient Rome and its emperors, epic wars, awesome architecture, heroes, and villains. With a complete rundown of Roman history alongside fascinating insights into the lives of everyday Romans, readers will discover the amazing people and events involved in the rise and fall of one of the greatest of all ancient civilisations and how its influence can still be felt around the world today.
Guy de la Bédoyère is a historian, archaeologist, and Roman expert, he is well known for his numerous books and appearances on TV, especially Channel 4’s Time Team.
Designed as an accessible introduction to this critical period, The Decline and Fall of Rome offers readers and researchers an appealing mix of descriptive chapters, biographical sketches, and annotated primary documents. An overview of the period is presented in the introduction, and is followed by chapters on late Roman culture, society, and economics in late antiquity; religious conflicts in Christian Rome; enemies of Rome; and why and when Rome fell. The narrative chapters conclude with a section placing Rome's fall in modern perspective. An annotated bibliography and index are included.
With an introduction on Peter himself - a distinguished administrator and diplomat at the court of Justinian – assessing his literary output, the relationship of the fragments of Peter's History to the fragments of the Anonymous Continuer, and the contentious issue of the place of this evidence within the framework of late antique historiography, The Lost History of Peter the Patrician will be an invaluable resource for those interested in the history of the Roman world in general and of the third and fourth centuries A.D. in particular.
* Beautifully illustrated with images relating to Ammianus’ life and works
* Features the complete extant works of Ammianus, in both English translation and the original Latin
* Concise introductions to the history work
* Provides two different translations of Ammianus’ work: C. D. Yonge and J. C. Rolfe
* Includes the translation that previously appeared in the Loeb Classical Library edition of Ammianus
* Excellent formatting of the texts
* Easily locate the sections you want to read with individual contents tables
* Provides a special dual English and Latin text, allowing readers to compare the sections paragraph by paragraph – ideal for students
* Features a bonus biography – discover Ammianus’ ancient world
* Scholarly ordering of texts into chronological order and literary genres
Please visit www.delphiclassics.com to explore our range of Ancient Classics titles or buy the entire series as a Super Set
HISTORY OF ROME
C. D. YONGE TRANSLATION, 1862
J. C. ROLFE TRANSLATION, 1940
The Latin Text
CONTENTS OF THE LATIN TEXT
The Dual Text
DUAL LATIN AND ENGLISH TEXT
INTRODUCTION TO AMMIANUS by J. C. Rolfe
Please visit www.delphiclassics.com to browse through our range of exciting titles