Perfect for new and longtime Mac users, this no-fluff guide to OS X Lion is packed with details on system preferences, the desktop, built-in applications, and utilities. You'll also find step-by-step instructions for printing, scanning, networking, sharing, troubleshooting, and going online. A Windows glossary makes switching to Mac (mostly) painless, and keyboard mavens will find a complete list of keyboard shortcuts.
New features covered include iCloud, Mission Control, Full-Screen Apps, Launchpad, Resume, Auto Save, Versions, Mac App Store, AirDrop, and multitouch gestures.
- See live previews of documents, pictures, and folders.
- Use Mission Control to juggle all your open windows and desktops.
- Dock programs, documents, and folders for one-click access.
- Use iCloud to store your files and settings online and sync them wirelessly across your Macs, Windows PCs, and iOS devices.
- Get instant search results for documents, pictures, music, mail, programs, and more.
- Share files and printers on your home network.
- Connect to wireless networks with a couple of clicks.
- Set up and manage printers, scanners, and other devices.
- Download and install OS X, apps, and updates from the Mac App Store.
- Secure your data from thieves and snoops.
- Plenty of tips, tricks, and timesavers.
- Fully cross-referenced, linked, and searchable.
1. OS X Basics
2. The Desktop
3. System Preferences
4. Files, Folders, and Drives
5. Programs and Documents
6. Printing, Faxing, and Fonts
7. Networks and Sharing
8. Online Connections
9. Security and Privacy
10. Maintenance and Backups
11. Switching from Windows
12. Keyboard Shortcuts
Mac OS X Lion Pocket Guide goes right to the heart of Lion, with details on system preferences, built-in applications, and utilities. You'll find configuration tips, keyboard shortcuts, guides for troubleshooting, lots of step-by-step instructions, and many other features—all in an easy-to-read format.Learn what’s new, including Lion's iOS-inspired featuresGet quick tips for configuring and customizing your MacSolve problems with a quick guide to the fundamentals like the Finder and DockUse keyboard shortcuts to work more efficientlyTake advantage of Lion's built-in applications and utilitiesManage user accounts and passwords
Maximize the amazing features packed into the latest release of Apple’s cutting-edge desktop operating system. With coverage of the iMac, MacBook, MacBook Air, and Mac mini, How to Do Everything: Mac OS X Mountain Lion shows you how to set up and customize your machine for peak performance. Find out what’s new, such as Messages, the Notification Center, Reminders, and more. Networking, hardware, security, and troubleshooting are fully explained in this hands-on guide.Manage system preferences Interact with your Mac using Multi-Touch gestures Launch apps and utilities from Launchpad Manipulate open items with Mission Control Connect to the Internet and surf with Safari Video chat with FaceTime Download content from the App Store Stay in touch, on schedule, and organized with Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Messages, Notes, and Reminders Use iWork for word processing, spreadsheets, and presentations Enjoy multimedia with QuickTime, iPhoto, iTunes, and iMovie Use iCloud to sync data with your iPod, iPad, and iPhone Set up a wired or wireless network Connect external devices via USB and FireWire Troubleshoot, tune, and back up your Mac
If you are new to OS X, you'll learn the basics of how to use OS X efficiently and joyfully. From there, you can move on to customize Mountain Lion to suit the way you work. And if you've been using OS X already, you'll learn to use all of Mountain Lion's new features, including iCloud integration, Messages, Reminders, Notes, the Notification Center, Share Sheets, Gatekeeper, and more.