The book's 435 pages present the practical experience and research-based advice of more than 100 University of California (UC) and industry experts, including:
• Pest-resistant plants and landscape design
• Planting, irrigating, and other cultural practices that keep plants healthy
• Conserving natural enemies to biologically control pests
• Efficient monitoring so you know when to act
• Selective pesticides and when their use may be warranted
• Numerous references to regularly-updated, online guides with more pesticide choices and the latest IPM practices
Inside you'll find:
• 575 high-quality, color photographs to help you recognize the causes of plant damage and identify pests and their natural enemies. 140 more than the previous edition!
• 101 line drawings and charts of pest biology and control techniques
• Problem-solving tables to help you diagnose the pests and maladies of more than 200 genera of alphabetically-listed trees and shrubs
Also in the 3rd Edition are dozens of newly added pests, including those affecting azaleas, camellias, hibiscus, camphor, eucalyptus, liquidambar, oaks, maples, palms, pines, olive, roses, and sycamores.
This revised edition contains a new format making it even easier to study for the DPR exams. In addition to the review questions found at the end of each chapter, this new edition contains knowledge expectations at the beginning of each chapter. These brief statements describe what you are expected to learn after reading that chapter, allowing you to study more effectively for DPR’s pesticide applicator licensing (QAL/QAC) exams. These knowledge expectations are also highlighted in sidebars throughout each chapter, providing a study roadmap so you know which sections of each chapter are most important.
Also new:Updated pesticides table to reflect products available in CaliforniaUpdated information on nematodes, vertebrates, and pathogensExpanded information on environmental hazards, expanded information on personal protective equipment including EPA respirator criteriaUp-to-date information on worker protection standardsExpanded information on pesticide resistanceUpdated compliance guidelines for pesticide use reporting as required by California lawA dedicated chapter covering label reading, including an updated label that reflects current regulations
The Safe and Effective Use of Pesticides provides detailed information for selecting, using, handling, storing, and disposing of pesticides. It emphasizes worker protection, prevention of groundwater contamination, protection of endangered species and wildlife, and reduction of environmental problems.
This is a significant update to the 2nd Edition, so everyone will want to update their reference library with this new edition.
The principles described in this volume apply to all areas of pest control, including agricultural, structural, landscape, greenhouse, and public health applications.
Volume 1 in the Pesticide Application Compendium. This is recommended study material for all categories of the California Department of Pesticide Regulation’s (DPR) Qualified Pesticide Applicator License (QAL) and Qualified Pesticide Applicator Certificate (QAC) exams.