- A clear and comprehensive overview of Tibet, its culture and history.
- Responds to current interest in Tibet due to continuing publicity about Chinese rule and growing interest in Tibetan Buddhism.
- Explains recent events within the context of Tibetan history.
- Situates Tibet in relation to other Asian civilizations through the ages.
- Draws on the most recent scholarly and archaeological research.
- Introduces Tibetan culture – particularly social institutions, religious and political traditions, the arts and medical lore.
- An epilogue considers the fragile position of Tibetan civilization in the modern world.