No longer considered the preserve of old men in sheds, allotment gardening is currently enjoying a renaissance of interest. People of all ages and from all walks of life are digging their own plots in search of the ultimate in fresh, organic produce – and you cannot get more locally-sourced than your own allotment!
This book testifies to the vibrancy of allotment culture, aiming both to inspire the next generation of plot-holders and to provide all the practical knowledge needed to turn a patch of soil into a lifelong adventure.
Open to all the eco-gardening techniques, and the various weird and wonderful ways people make use of their plots, contents include:
• the history of allotments – from 19th century origins, through wartime ‘Dig for Victory’, to the cosmopolitan communities of today; features photos and interviews with current plot-holders
• planning your perfect allotment – finding it, assessing it, clearing the ground and working out what to grow
• the brown stuff – all you need to know about soil management, the key to growing success
• choosing a gardening method – organic, biodynamic, rotation beds, companion planting, greenhouse, multi-level, potager, cottage garden, and so on...
• the hard stuff – constructing sheds, compost bins, cold frames, fruit cages, ponds, seating and play areas
• selecting crops – what and how to grow, from parsnips and peas to chilli peppers and lemon grass
• cultivation techniques – digging, sowing, feeding, weeding and harvesting, plus troubleshooting pests and diseases
• the allotment calendar – extensive, month-by-month look at what’s in season, jobs for now and looking ahead
Gardeners' World: First Time Veg Grower can help you make that journey, with simple and practical expert advice from the moment you first don your wellies right up until you're harvesting your own crops. With step-by-step guides and clear colour illustrations helping you to get the most out of your plot all year round, this compact guide is an essential addition to any gardener's shelf. From preparing your ground to sowing, nurturing and maintaining your plants, let the practiced hands at the UK's best-selling gardening magazine help you create the vegetable patch of your dreams.