This revised, expanded 2nd edition of the awarding-winning storybook teaches from the social learner’s perspective about the power of observation, reading context, and interpreting clues before choosing how to respond in ways that meet their social goals.
A new structured approach to observation, new illustrations reflecting a broader range of inclusion and diversity in characters, practice pages and activities for deeper learning, specific teaching tips, and a glossary of Social Thinking Vocabulary and concepts are just some of the new material you’ll find inside.
This is the first book in the Superflex® series. It guides readers on a journey of discovery where they can:
· Learn formulas for gathering clues by observing a setting, situation, and people in it
· Be empowered to figure out how the social world works through their own detective lens
· Learn to identify feelings and emotions and connect them to behaviors
· Understand that all feelings are okay, even uncomfortable ones, and we can still learn and grow
· Get support from emojis and special word banks
· Find core Social Thinking® Vocabulary words highlighted throughout to support and strengthen key learning concepts
· Have numerous opportunities to make smart guesses about hidden social rules in various situations
· See examples and tips for school, home, and community life
· Celebrate how all of us are social observers who are affected by others’ actions and reactions
Michelle Garcia Winner, MA, CCC-SLP, is the founder and CEO of Social Thinking and a globally recognized thought leader, author, speaker, and social-cognitive therapist. She is dedicated to helping people of all ages develop social emotional learning, including those with social learning differences. Across her 30-year career she has created numerous evidence-based strategies, treatment frameworks, and curricula to help interventionists develop social competencies in those they support. Michelle's work also teaches how social competencies impact people's broader lives, including their ability to foster relationships and their academic and career performance. She and her team continually update the Social Thinking® Methodology based on the latest research and insights they learn from their clients.
Pamela Crooke, PhD, CCC-SLP, is the Chief Strategy Officer and Director of Research, Content, Clinical Services, and the Social Thinking Training & Speakers' Collaborative at Social Thinking. She served as a clinical faculty member of three universities and worked as a speech-language pathologist in the Arizona public schools for 15 years. Pam is a prolific speaker both in North America and abroad, and has co-authored, with Michelle Garcia Winner, five award-winning books related to Social Thinking. Their book, You Are a Social Detective! won the 2012 Autism Society of America Literary Book of the Year Award and a second edition is now available (2020). She and Winner collaborate on writing articles and blogs that appear on the Social Thinking website and in a wide array of publications. Her current research focuses on using practice-based research to examine how professionals and parents utilize frameworks and strategies within the Social Thinking® Methodology.