The aim of this book is to provide an accurate knowledge on stem cell biology and regenerative medicine. This book will cover many topics in the field and is based on seminars given by recognized scientists involved the international master program on stem cell biology at the University Pierre and Marie Curie (UPMC) in Paris.
Preface. Pierre Charbord and Charles Durand.
1) General concepts
1.Stem cell concepts. Charles Durand and Pierre Charbord.
2.Transcriptional regulation in stem cells. Eric Soler and Frank Grosveld.
3.DNA repair in stem cells. Leyla Vahidi Ferdousi and Miria Ricchetti.
4. Stem cells and epigenetic regulation. Emma L. Walton and Claire Francastel.
5. Hydra and the evolution of stem cells. Alexander Klimovich, Anna Marei Böhm and Thomas C.G. Bosch.
6. Ontogeny of stem cells. Thierry Jaffredo.
7. Regeneration in anamniotic vertebrates. Dunja Knapp.
8. Computational models of spatio-temporal stem cell organization. Peter Buske and Joerg Galle.
2) Pluripotent stem cells
9. X chromosome inactivation in stem cells and development. Agnese Loda, Friedemann Loos and Joost Gribnau.
10. Molecular machinery of reprogramming. Romain Desprat, Ollivier Milhavet and Jean-Marc Lemaitre.
11. Modeling human genetic disorders using induced pluripotent stem cells. Franck Lebrin.
3) Adult stem cells
12. Developmental biology of hematopoietic stem cells : Cellular aspects. Laurent Yvernogeau, Jean-Charles Boisset and Catherine Robin.
13. Developmental biology of haematopoietic stem cells: Cell intrinsic and extrinsic regulators of their emergence. Katrin Ottersbach.
14. Biology of hematopoietic stem cells in the adult. Marie-Laure Arcangeli, Rima Haddad, Francoise Pflumio.
15. Epithelial stem cells in the skin. Romain Fontaine, Mathieu Castela and Selim Aractingi.
16. Skeletal muscle stem cells. Elisa Negroni, Maximilien Bencze, Stéphanie Duguez, Gillian Butler-Browne and Vincent Mouly.
17. Mammary stem cells. Marie-Ange Deugnier, Marisa M. Faraldo and Marina A. Glukhova.
18. Intestinal stem cells. Silvia Fre.
19. Neural stem cells. Nathalie Kubis and Martin Catala.
20. Dental stem cells. Anne Poliard.
21. Bone marrow Mesenchymal Stem Cells: from stemness to stromal property of hematopoietic support. Pierre Charbord and Bruno Delorme.
22. Retinal stem cells. Olivier Goureau, Angélique Terray, Katherine S. Matho, Sacha Reichman, and Gael Orieux.
4) Stem cell-related diseases and therapy using stem cells
23. Leukemic stem cells: what the concept brings to disease and patient management. Berent Lunden and Christine Chomienne.
24. Stem cells for cardiac repair. Philippe Menasché.
25. Stem cells for red blood cell production. Christelle Mazurier, Guillaume F Rousseau, Luc Douay and Hélène Lapillonne.
26. Prospectives for therapy with stem cells in skeletal muscular diseases. Maximilien Bencze, Elisa Negroni, Vincent Mouly and Gillian Butler-Browne.
5) Regulatory and philosophical aspects
27. Legal framework for research on Human Embryonic Stem Cells in France and in Europe. Arnaud de Guerra, Emmanuelle Prada-Bordenave
28. Stem cell epistemological issues. Lucie Laplane.
29. Future outlook. Pierre Charbord and Charles Durand.
Depression is not a disease. It is a symptom.
Recent years have seen a shocking increase in antidepressant use the world over, with 1 in 4 women starting their day with medication. These drugs have steadily become the panacea for everything from grief, irritability, panic attacks, to insomnia, PMS, and stress. But the truth is, what women really need can’t be found at a pharmacy.
According to Dr. Kelly Brogan, antidepressants not only overpromise and underdeliver, but their use may permanently disable the body’s self-healing potential. We need a new paradigm: The best way to heal the mind is to heal the whole body.
In this groundbreaking, science-based and holistic approach, Dr. Brogan shatters the mythology conventional medicine has built around the causes and treatment of depression. Based on her expert interpretation of published medical findings, combined with years of experience from her clinical practice, Dr. Brogan illuminates the true cause of depression: it is not simply a chemical imbalance, but a lifestyle crisis that demands a reset. It is a signal that the interconnected systems in the body are out of balance – from blood sugar, to gut health, to thyroid function– and inflammation is at the root.
A Mind of Your Own offers an achievable, step-by-step 30-day action plan—including powerful dietary interventions, targeted nutrient support, detoxification, sleep, and stress reframing techniques—women can use to heal their bodies, alleviate inflammation, and feel like themselves again without a single prescription.
Bold, brave, and revolutionary, A Mind of Your Own takes readers on a journey of self-empowerment for radical transformation that goes far beyond symptom relief.
All of today’s most-diagnosed ailments can be traced back to an injured and irritated gut. The gut is an intricate and powerful system, naturally designed to protect and heal the body every moment of every day And yet for far too many of us, this remarkable system is in disrepair, which leads to all kinds of health problems—from extra pounds, aches and pains, allergies, mood swings, and lack of libido, to heart disease, cancer, autoimmune disorders, insomnia, and depression.
But we no longer have to be sick to get healthy. In this groundbreaking program, Alejandro Junger, M.D. explains how instead of treating the symptoms as they arise, we can preemptively attack disease before it takes root in the gut.
No matter your current state of health, you will benefit from this program: Clean Gut will help you put an end to everyday ailments, reverse chronic disease, and achieve true, long-lasting health.
In this newly revised and expanded edition of The Emotion Code, renowned holistic physician and lecturer Dr. Bradley Nelson skillfully lays bare the inner workings of the subconscious mind. He reveals how emotionally-charged events from your past can still be haunting you in the form of "trapped emotions"—emotional energies that literally inhabit your body. These trapped emotions can fester in your life and body, creating pain, malfunction, and eventual disease. They can also extract a heavy mental and emotional toll on you, impacting how you think, the choices that you make, and the level of success and abundance you are able to achieve. Perhaps most damaging of all, trapped emotional energies can gather around your heart, cutting off your ability to give and receive love.
The Emotion Code is a powerful and simple way to rid yourself of this unseen baggage. Dr. Nelson’s method gives you the tools to identify and release the trapped emotions in your life, eliminating your “emotional baggage,” and opening your heart and body to the positive energies of the world. Filled with real-world examples from many years of clinical practice, The Emotion Code is a distinct and authoritative work that has become a classic on self-healing.