For more than a quarter-of-a-century, no other text has explained the link between microbiology and human disease states better than Sherris Medical Microbiology, Seventh Edition. Through a vibrant, engaging approach, this classic gives readers a solid grasp of the significance of etiologic agents, the pathogenic processes, epidemiology, and the basis of therapy for infectious diseases.
Part I of Sherris Medical Microbiology opens with a non-technical chapter that explains the nature of infection and the infection agents. The following four chapters provide more detail about the immune response to infection and the prevention, epidemiology, and diagnosis of infectious disease. Parts II through V form the core of the text with chapters on the major viral, bacterial, fungal, and parasitic diseases. Each of these sections opens with chapters on basic biology, pathogenesis, and antimicrobial agents. No other text clarifies the link between microbiology and human disease states like Sherris.
• 57 chapters that simply and clearly describe the strains of viruses, bacteria, fungi, and parasites that can bring about infectious diseases
• Explanations of host-parasite relationship, dynamics of infection, and host response
• A clinical cases with USMLE-style questions concludes each chapter on the major viral, bacterial, fungal, and parasitic diseases
• All tables, photographs, and illustrations are in full color
• Clinical Capsules cover the essence of the disease(s) caused by major pathogens
• Margin Notes highlight key points within a paragraph to facilitate review
• In addition to the chapter-ending case questions, a collection of 100 practice questions is also included
Efficiently review a wide spectrum of topicswith page references and a parallel organization to both Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease and Robbins Basic Pathology, making additional information easy to locate.
Reinforce your understanding of key contentwith answers and detailed explanations for every question at the end of each chapter.
Enhance your understanding of pathophysiology and integrate pathologywith other medical disciplines by examining correlative laboratory, radiologic, and physical diagnostic data.
Visualize key pathologic concepts and conditionsand test your diagnostic skills with over 1,100 full-color images. Features new questions that reflect today’s hot topics in pathology, keeping you up to date. Includes many new illustrations to enhance visual guidance. Uses a new chapter arrangement to conform to the new Table of Contents in Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease, 8th Edition, for easier cross referencing.
This eBook experience allows you to search all of the text, figures, references, and animations, designed to produce a more rounded learning experience.