Get up to speed with Windows 7 right away--the QuickSteps way. Fully updated to cover Windows 7 SP1, Windows Live Mail 2011, and Internet Explorer 9, this book includes color screenshots and clear explanations that show you how to maximize the powerful features and upgrades available in Windows 7. Find out how to navigate and customize your desktop, store data, manage files, connect to the Internet, use email, add hardware and software, work with photos, and enjoy multimedia. Managing security and setting up a wired or wireless network are also covered. Start using Windows 7 in no time with help from this hands-on guide.
The unique, oblong layout of the QuickSteps series mimics your computer screen, displays graphics and explanations side by side, and lays flat so you can easily refer to the book while working on your computer.
Use these handy guideposts:Shortcuts for accomplishing common tasks Need-to-know facts in concise narrative Helpful reminders or alternate ways of doing things Bonus information related to the topic being covered Errors and pitfalls to avoid
Marty Matthews is the cocreator of the QuickSteps series and the author or coauthor of more than 70 books, including the bestselling Windows Vista QuickSteps and Windows 7 QuickSteps.
Windows 10 is the successor to Windows 8 (there is no Windows 9) and addresses several of the issues from Windows 8 and 8.1, to ensure that it is easier to work with on both desktop and mobile devices.
Windows 8 and 8.1 was designed to combine the familiar Microsoft operating system across desktop and mobile devices. This proved to be an aspiration that was not without its problems; it seemed like two separate operating systems bolted together, without completely satisfying either environment. Windows 10 introduces a range of new features to tailor the operating system more for specific devices, so that the desktop version is more suited to use with a mouse and keyboard and the mobile version is better suited to touchscreen devices such as Windows 10 tablets and smartphones.
Windows 10 in easy steps provides full-colour and comprehensive coverage of the new operating system and shows how to get the most out of it, whether you are using a desktop computer or a mobile device. It details the new features and shows how these integrate with the more traditional elements of the operating system. It covers the new features, and includes:
Upgrading to Windows 10 and personalising it for your needs; Getting to grips with the Windows 10 interface, navigating with the Start Menu, the Start button, and the new Taskbar; Customising the new live tiles feature, so that you can create your own look and feel; Accessing and downloading apps, and how to work with them and organise them; Working with files and folders, using OneDrive for free storage and sharing files; Using Cortana, the Personal Digital Assistant, to search your computer or the web, or to perform actions like opening apps or documents; Getting online with the new browser, Microsoft Edge, and keeping in touch by email and Skype; Perfecting photos, viewing movies, playing music and games
Windows 10 is one of the most significant upgrades in Microsoft's history and Windows 10 in easy steps is ideal for newbies and for those wanting to quickly grasp the essentials in the new version.
Updates to the features covered in the book are downloadable for FREE from the In Easy Steps website!
• Want all the cool new cutting-edge features and interface Windows Vista offers? Well, before you run out and buy the software, you need to ensure your system will support it! We walk you through, step-by-step, how to manually check if your PC and other hardware and software are supported for use with Windows Vista. We show you how to perform common upgrade tasks, if needed, before you install Vista. In addition, we provide tips and procedures on backing up your data.
• Having to choose between five different versions (yes, Vista comes in FIVE flavors!) can be confusing! Don’t sweat it, though--we’ve got you covered. We show you how to decide which flavor of Vista is best suited to you! Then we walk you through installing and setting up Vista for the very first time.
• Next we dig into the new Vista interface, which is quite a change from the old XP! Then we give you a tour of the many new and enhanced features. While you might fancy yourself a wicked-smart Windows user, don’t skip this section! We’re positive you’ll find things you didn’t know that will help you make Vista do thy bidding.
• Don’t like the slick new Vista interface? (Macintosh, anyone?) We show you how to harness the power of Vista while keeping the look and feel of your XP. Who says change has to be painful?
• After you have the basics nailed, we then show you some of the cool things you can do with Vista, from customizing its performance, to disabling annoying security controls, to connecting to a wireless network.
Learn how to…
• Keep data secure and avoid privacy invasion with Windows Defender and other built-in security features. Parental controls also put you in charge of what your kids are doing while online.
• Quickly find any type of file from music, pictures, programs, to documents with Instant Search.
• Take advantage of Windows Mail with built-in spam and security features.
• Use new Windows Photo Gallery to view, organize, edit, and print your photographs.
• Set up live Internet feeds with current information such as stock quotes, weather, sports scores, and more.
• Add details about your files using the Tags feature which makes files easier to find and group together.
Easy steps guide you through each task.
Items you select or click are shown in bold.
Each step is fully illustrated.
Tips point out shortcuts and solutions.
Cautions help you avoid common pitfalls.
Notes provide additional information.
10 minutes is all you need to learn how to…Quickly discover Windows 7’s best new features Personalize Windows 7 just the way you like it Use the newest Internet Explorer to browse the web faster and more safely Set up and connect to wireless networks quickly Create and use network Homegroups Find files and programs in no time with Instant Desktop Search Accomplish tasks more quickly with Jump Lists and Libraries Create slideshows with Windows 7’s media tools Enjoy videos and music with Windows 7’s media tools Safeguard your files with Windows Backup Reliably set up printers and other devices Make the most of Windows 7 on netbooks and notebooks Maintain and troubleshoot any Windows 7 computer Recover lost account passwords with a password reset disk
Customize the User Interface and settings
Search and index your documents and data
Install, configure, run and repair software; fine-tune startup and recovery settings
Detect and troubleshoot hidden problems; optimize your computer’s power management settings
Balance the tradeoffs in appearance and performance
Extend your desktop with multiple monitors
Apply expert tips for maintaining your computer.
This book is designed for anyone who wants to learn Windows 7, including those who manage or computers running Windows 7. Inside, you'll find comprehensive overviews, step-by-step procedures, frequently used tasks, documented examples, and much more. One of the goals is to keep the content so concise that the book remains compact and easy to navigate while at the same time ensuring that the book is packed with as much information as possible--making it a valuable resource.
Here’s what you’ll learn to do:
Run programs, control gadgets, play games. Send e-mail, browse the Web, and share your files. Organize your digital media, including photos, music, and videos. Burn CDs and DVDs; make your own movies. Set up your printer and a simple home network. Manage security settings and perform easy tune-ups and fixes.
Here’s how you’ll learn it:
Jump in wherever you need answers. Easy-to-follow steps and screenshots show you exactly what to do. Handy tips teach you new techniques and shortcuts. Quick TRY THIS! Exercises help you apply what you’ve learned right away.