- awaken the creative force and connect with the divine source of creativity
- access inner wisdom and intuition about life issues, including both personal and community concerns
- find a path to meaning that includes honoring, celebrating, and giving thanks
- explore the images and symbols of traditions such as Catholicism, Judaism, shamanism, and Goddess worship
- join in spiritual community with others who are following the path of art
- discover that artmaking can help us live our ideals and be of service in the world
Detailed examples from the author's own practice of art, plus the stories and images of several other people, are presented to illustrate how art becomes a spiritual path in action. At the author's virtual studio, www.patballen.com, readers can post their images and writings, communicate with the author, and subscribe to an electronic newsletter. The site also contains an archive of the images in this book in full color.