Plato's account of Socrates' trial and death (399 BC) is a significant moment in Classical literature and the life of Classical Athens. In these four dialogues, Plato develops the Socratic belief in responsibility for one's self and shows Socrates living and dying under his philosophy. In Euthyphro, Socrates debates goodness outside the courthouse; Apology sees him in court, rebutting all charges of impiety; in Crito, he refuses an entreaty to escape from prison; and in Phaedo, Socrates faces his impending death with calmness and skilful discussion of immortality.
Christopher Rowe's introduction to his powerful new translation examines the book's themes of identity and confrontation, and explores how its content is less historical fact than a promotion of Plato's Socratic philosophy.
* ALL of the dialogues, with excellent formatting
* ALL of the spurious works in English translation, including texts often missed out of other collections
* individual contents tables for the longer dialogues, enabling you to navigate the texts with ease
* concise introductions for all of the works, giving valuable contextual information
* includes Plato’s epigrams and epistles
* many of the translations have also appeared in the famous Loeb Classical Library editions of Plato
* features translations by Benjamin Jowett
* special Greek pronunciation pages – experience the true sound of Plato’s 2500 year-old wisdom!
* numerous images relating to Plato, his works and the places he lived in
* even includes a special criticism section, with scholarly works assessing Plato’s contribution to the philosophical world
* boasts three biographies by classical writers – explore Plato’s adventurous life!
* includes Diogenes Laërtius’ famous biography
* scholarly ordering of texts, with a front no-nonsense master table of contents
* UPDATED with improved texts and translations
The Spurious Works
THE RIVAL LOVERS
LIST OF EPISTLES
The Greek Texts
PRONOUNCING ANCIENT GREEK
LIST OF GREEK TEXTS
PLATO AND PLATONISM by Walter Horatio Pater
INTRODUCTION TO THE PHILOSOPHY AND WRITINGS OF PLATO by Thomas Taylor
Extract from ‘REPRESENTATIVE MEN’ by Ralph Waldo Emerson
PLATO: LITTLE JOURNEYS TO THE HOMES OF GREAT TEACHERS by Elbert Hubbard
PLATO: LIVES OF THE EMINENT PHILOSOPHERS by Diogenes Laërtius
THE LIFE OF PLATO by Hesychius of Miletus
THE LIFE OF PLATO by Olympiodorus