In this practical and comprehensive guide, author Martin Kleppmann helps you navigate this diverse landscape by examining the pros and cons of various technologies for processing and storing data. Software keeps changing, but the fundamental principles remain the same. With this book, software engineers and architects will learn how to apply those ideas in practice, and how to make full use of data in modern applications.Peer under the hood of the systems you already use, and learn how to use and operate them more effectivelyMake informed decisions by identifying the strengths and weaknesses of different toolsNavigate the trade-offs around consistency, scalability, fault tolerance, and complexityUnderstand the distributed systems research upon which modern databases are builtPeek behind the scenes of major online services, and learn from their architectures
Access 2016 Bible is your, comprehensive reference to the world's most popular database management tool. With clear guidance toward everything from the basics to the advanced, this go-to reference helps you take advantage of everything Access 2016 has to offer. Whether you're new to Access or getting started with Access 2016, you'll find everything you need to know to create the database solution perfectly tailored to your needs, with expert guidance every step of the way. The companion website features all examples and databases used in the book, plus trial software and a special offer from Database Creations. Start from the beginning for a complete tutorial, or dip in and grab what you need when you need it.
Access enables database novices and programmers to store, organize, view, analyze, and share data, as well as build powerful, integrable, custom database solutions ï¿1⁄2 but databases can be complex, and difficult to navigate. This book helps you harness the power of the database with a solid understanding of their purpose, construction, and application. Understand database objects and design systems objects Build forms, create tables, manipulate datasheets, and add data validation Use Visual Basic automation and XML Data Access Page design Exchange data with other Office applications, including Word, Excel, and more
From database fundamentals and terminology to XML and Web services, this book has everything you need to maximize Access 2016 and build the database you need.
- Covers Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, IBM DB2, MySQL, PostgreSQL, and Microsoft Access.
- Learn the core language for standard SQL, and variations for the most widely used database systems.
- Organize your database in terms of the relational model.
- Master tables, columns, rows, and keys.
- Retrieve, sort, and format data.- Filter the data that you don't want to see.
- Convert and manipulate data with SQL's built-in functions and operators.
- Use aggregate functions to summarize data.
- Create complex SQL statements by using joins, subqueries, constraints, conditional logic, and metadata.
- Create, alter, and drop tables, indexes, and views.
- Insert, update, delete, and merge data.
- Execute transactions to maintain the integrity of your data.
- Avoid common pitfalls involving nulls.
- Troubleshoot and optimize queries.
- Plenty of tips, tricks, and timesavers.
- Fully cross-referenced, linked, and searchable.
1. Running SQL Programs
2. The Relational Model
3. SQL Basics
4. Retrieving Data from a Table
5. Operators and Functions
6. Summarizing and Grouping Data
9. Set Operations
10. Inserting, Updating, and Deleting Rows
11. Creating, Altering, and Dropping Tables