Beware the gossips! Lady Sneerwell and her hireling Snake are certainly up to no good in this timeless send-up of hypocritical manners. Thanks to their scandal-mongering, the comely Lady Teazle must fend off the slanderous barbs that have caught the ear of her elderly husband - as well as every other gossip in London! What follows is a torrent of mistaken identities and sex-crazed scheming in which the upper classes have never looked so low class.
The ebook also features an interview with director Michael Hackett, Professor of Theater in the School of Theater, Film and Television at UCLA and Chair of the Department of Theater.
By merging text and audio, this is a perfect learning tool for enhancing comprehension and enjoyment. The text includes plot summaries of each scene, and it is highly recommended as a study aid for students, teachers, actors and directors.
Includes scene-by-scene and word-for-word text and audio of L.A. Theatre Works’ full cast performance starring:
Stuart Bunce as Charles Surface
Jane Carr as Mrs. Candour
John H. Francis as Rowley and others
Henri Lubatti as Snake, Moses and others
Christopher Neame as Sir Oliver Surface
Moira Quirk as Maria and Maid
Julian Sands as Joseph Surface
Susan Sullivan as Lady Sneerwell
Tara Summers as Lady Teazle
Simon Templeman as Sir Peter Teazle
James Warwick as Crabtree and others
Matthew Wolf as Sir Benjamin Backbite.
Directed by Michael Hackett for L.A. Theatre Works.
Lead funding for this production, and its presentation as an enhanced ebook, is generously provided by The Sidney E. Frank Foundation.
This edition features a comprehensive introduction and extensive appendices documenting the play’s first successful performances and global influence. It will appeal to students and scholars of Romantic literature, theatre history, post-colonialism, and Indigenous studies.
* Beautifully illustrated with images relating to Sheridan’s life and works
* Concise introductions to the plays
* All 9 dramatic works, with individual contents tables
* Features rare plays appearing for the first time in digital publishing, including PIZARRO
* Images of how the works were first published, giving your eReader a taste of the original texts
* Excellent formatting of the texts
* Also features R. Crompton Rhodes edition of Sheridan’s poetry, first time in digital print
* Easily locate the rare poems you want to read
* Includes Sheridan’s speeches and letters - spend hours exploring the author’s non-fiction
* Features two biographies, including Moore’s seminal study - explore Sheridan’s literary and personal life
* Scholarly ordering of texts into chronological order and literary genres
Please visit www.delphiclassics.com to browse through our range of exciting titles
The Dramatic Works
ST. PATRICK’S DAY
A TRIP TO SCARBOROUGH
THE SCHOOL FOR SCANDAL
THE GLORIOUS FIRST OF JUNE
THE POEMS OF RICHARD BRINSLEY SHERIDAN
THE LEGISLATIVE INDEPENDENCE OF IRELAND VINDICATED
A COMPARATIVE STATEMENT OF THE TWO BILLS, FOR THE BETTER GOVERNMENT OF THE BRITISH POSSESSIONS IN INDIA
THE SPEECHES AND LETTERS
MEMOIRS OF THE LIFE OF THE RT. HON. RICHARD BRINSLEY SHERIDAN by Thomas Moore
RICHARD BRINSLEY SHERIDAN by William Fraser Rae
Please visit www.delphiclassics.com to browse through our range of exciting titles or to purchase this eBook as a Parts Edition of individual eBooks