Fully revised & updated August 2018
Covers DxO and Google versions of Nik Silver Efex Pro 2
Nik Silver Efex Pro 2 quickly gained an enthusiastic following amongst photographers’ keen to produce dramatic black and white photography. Today, it still enjoys a strong following and for good reason. It helps you to quickly produce photographs that could take many hours using other photo editors. Despite this, a lot of photographers still don’t realise the full potential of their work.
The secret to success with Nik Silver Efex Pro is like most things in life. It’s knowing what to do to achieve a desired outcome. This is where this book can help you.
· It thoroughly explains every control in the Silver Efex software. Not by using vague descriptions, but by examining the effect of the controls on sample images.
· You will find recommendations about which sliders to use to achieve specific results.
· There are tips spread throughout the book explaining how to accomplish dramatic conversions as well as improve your photo editing.
· It explains the order in which you should apply adjustments to your image to improve conversions (it’s not the order in the interface suggests).
· There are ideas about how to pre-process your photos before converting them black and white.
· It contains four full length examples detailing image conversions with Nik Silver Efex Pro 2.
To support the worked examples in this book, you can download the starting images from the authors website and follow his editing on your own computer.
Truly master Nik Silver Efex Pro with the help of this book.
In this book, Tony Northrup (award-winning author of more than 30 how-to books and a professional portrait, wildlife, and landscape photographer) teaches the art and science of creating stunning pictures. First, beginner photographers will master:CompositionExposureShutter speedApertureDepth-of-field (blurring the background)ISONatural lightFlashTroubleshooting blurry, dark, and bad picturesPet photographyWildlife photography (mammals, birds, insects, fish, and more)Sunrises and sunsetsLandscapesCityscapesFlowersForests, waterfalls, and riversNight photographyFireworksRaw filesHDRMacro/close-up photography
Advanced photographers can skip forward to learn the pro’s secrets for:Posing men and women. including corrective posing (checklists provided)Portraits (candid, casual, formal, and underwater)Remotely triggering flashesUsing bounce flash and flash modifiersUsing studio lighting on any budgetBuilding a temporary or permanent studio at homeShooting your first weddingHigh speed photographyLocation scouting/finding the best spots and timesPlanning shoots around the sun and moonStar trails (via long exposure and image stacking)Light paintingEliminating noiseFocus stacking for infinite depth-of-fieldUnderwater photographyGetting close to wildlifeUsing electronic shutter triggersPhotographing moving carsPhotographing architecture and real estate
- Learn how to reveal the full potential in your photos, making them stand out from the crowd.
- Create complex and precise selections that leave most people wondering how.
- Develop a standard workflow you can apply to any image, for great results.
- Use important tools and adjustments, but also understand why.
- Understand the best way to tackle any image and what order to apply your adjustments.
- Find new and powerful uses for tools you may previously have ignored.
The Photographers Guide to Lightroom’s Develop module has been written and illustrated with the latest Lightroom Classic CC edition (release January 2018). But if you’re using an earlier version of Lightroom, it’s still relevant but you won’t have access to all the features covered.
This book has been written for photographers by a photographer. It assumes only a limited knowledge of Lightroom’s Develop module but will quickly build your skills to an impressive level. It doesn’t matter if you find Lightroom a challenge, everything is explained with the author’s characteristic, no-nonsense approach.
If you want to achieve excellent results fast, follow the guidance in this book.
Tony goes beyond teaching you how to use Lightroom. Tony shows you why and when to use each feature to create stunning, natural photos. When Lightroom isn t the best tool, Tony suggests better alternatives.
Combining the benefits of video training and book learning, this video book gives you over 14 hours of video and dozens of free presets and raw images to practice with. If you learn better with video, watch the video training and refer to the book for quick reference. If you prefer reading, the book is concise and practical, and each chapter links to relevant videos when you want to understand a topic more deeply or see it used in the real world.
Tony covers every aspect of Lightroom in-depth, but structures his teaching so that both beginner and advanced photographers can learn as efficiently as possible. If you just want a quick start, you can watch the first video or read the first chapter and you'll be organizing and editing your pictures in less than an hour. If you want to know more about a specific feature, switch to that video or jump to that chapter in the ebook. If you want to know everything about Lightroom, watch the videos and read the book from start to finish.
In this book you’ll learn to:
- Produce detailed and complex masks in minutes not hours.
- Create detailed Channel Masks, allowing you to replace a boring sky or change a colour.
- Quickly generate Luminosity Masks to target adjustments on the highlights, shadows or midtones of an image.
- Make complex selections using the latest Photoshop CC tools as well as traditional techniques. It doesn’t matter how old your version of Photoshop is, there will be techniques you can use.
- Quickly clean up masks with a simple brushing technique. This enables you to beautifully blend adjustments, essential in creating realistic photography.
The complex subject of Photoshop masking has been distilled into this easy to use book. Featuring many examples, you can follow along using the actual image files supplied on the author’s website.
Cut through the hype and confusion circulating on the internet and learn Photoshop masking. Even if you have tried to before and struggled, this book can help you.