Based on detailed analysis of translation problems, Thinking German Translation features new material taken from a wide range of sources, including:
Addressing a variety of translation issues such as cultural difference, register and dialect, Thinking German Translation is essential reading for all students wishing to perfect their translation skills. It is also an excellent foundation for those considering a career in translation.
Further resources, including a free teacher's handbook for the course, are available on the companion website at http://cw.routledge.com/textbooks/0415341469/resources/default.asp
The late Sándor Hervey was Reader in Linguistics at the University of St Andrews. Michael Loughridge was Lecturer in German at the University of St. Andrews and is now a full-time translator with MITI status. Ian Higgins is Honorary Senior Lecturer in French at the University of St Andrews.
Start speaking German in minutes, and learn key vocabulary, phrases, and grammar in just minutes more with Learn German - Level 1: Introduction - a completely new way to learn German with ease! Learn German - Level 1: Introduction will arm you with language and cultural insight to utterly shock and amaze your German friends and family, teachers, and colleagues.
What you get in Learn German - Level 1: Introduction:
- 5 Basic Bootcamp lessons: dialog transcripts with translation, vocabulary, sample sentences and a grammar section
- 15 All About lessons: cultural insight and insider-only tips from our teachers in each lesson
- 5 Pronunciation lesson: tips and techniques on proper pronunciation
Discover or rediscover how fun learning a language can be with the future of language learning, and start speaking German instantly!
German All-in-One For Dummies conveniently combines titles from the German Dummies library into one handy guide that covers all of the bases of the German language. For those looking to master fluency in this popular language, this book and CD combo are an efficient and logical choice.
German All-in-One For Dummies brings together content from German For Dummies, 2nd Edition, German For Dummies Audio Set, German Phrases For Dummies, Intermediate German For Dummies, and German Essentials For Dummies. ??Plus, it includes a new CD that allows for even more opportunities to practice speaking the language, as well as additional content on grammar and usage to empower you to use and speak German like a native.Offers instruction and practice exercises for both speaking and writing German Helps you prepare to demonstrate proficiency in conversational German
If you want to improve your German, whether it's for work, travel, or enjoyment, German All-in-One For Dummies has you covered.
The book has a practical orientation, addressing key issues for translators, such as cultural differences, genre, and revision and editing. It is a book on translation method, drawing on a range of notions from linguistics and translation theory to encourage thoughtful consideration of possible solutions to practical problems.
This new edition includes:
• new material in almost all chapters
• a new chapter on parallelism
• two new chapters on technical translation: botanical and Islamic finance texts
• new and up-to-date examples from all types of translation, covering broad issues that have emerged in the Arab world in recent years
• texts drawn from a wide variety of writing types, including newspapers, prose fiction, poetry, tourist material, scientific texts, financial texts, recipes, academic writing, constitutions and political speeches
• at least three full-length practical translation exercises in each chapter to complement the discussions and consolidate learning.
In addition to the updated Tutor’s Handbook, a Supplement, containing textual material and practical exercises aimed at further developing the translation issues discussed in the main text, and a Tutor’s Handbook to the Supplement, are available at www.routledge.com/cw/dickins.
Thinking Arabic Translation is key reading for advanced students wishing to perfect their language skills or considering a career in translation.