This new emphasis on parallelism is supported by updates reflecting the newest technologies with examples highlighting the latest processor designs, benchmarking standards, languages and tools. As with previous editions, a MIPS processor is the core used to present the fundamentals of hardware technologies, assembly language, computer arithmetic, pipelining, memory hierarchies and I/O. Along with its increased coverage of parallelism, this new edition offers new content on Flash memory and virtual machines as well as a new and important appendix written by industry experts covering the emergence and importance of the modern GPU (graphics processing unit), the highly parallel, highly multithreaded multiprocessor optimized for visual computing.
This book contains a new exercise paradigm that allows instructors to reconfigure the 600 exercises included in the book to generate new exercises and solutions of their own. The companion CD provides a toolkit of simulators and compilers along with tutorials for using them as well as advanced content for further study and a search utility for finding content on the CD and in the printed text.
This text is designed for professional digital system designers, programmers, application developers, and system software developers as well as undergraduate students in Computer Science, Computer Engineering and Electrical Engineering courses in Computer Organization, Computer Design.
A new exercise paradigm allows instructors to reconfigure the 600 exercises included in the book to easily generate new exercises and solutions of their own.
The companion CD provides a toolkit of simulators and compilers along with tutorials for using them, as well as advanced content for further study and a search utility for finding content on the CD and in the printed text. For the convenience of readers who have purchased an ebook edition or who may have misplaced the CD-ROM, all CD content is available as a download at http://bit.ly/12XinUx.
The book is suitable for all Bachelor’s degree students in Science, Arts, Computer Applications, and Commerce. It is also useful for general reading to learn about IT and its latest trends. Those who are curious to know, the principles used to design jpg, mp3 and mpeg4 compression, the image formats—bmp, tiff, gif, png, and jpg, search engines, payment systems such as BHIM and Paytm, and cloud computing, to mention a few of the technologies discussed, will find this book useful.
• Provides comprehensive coverage of all basic concepts of IT from first principles
• Explains acquisition, compression, storage, organization, processing and dis-semination of multimedia data
• Simple explanation of mp3, jpg, and mpeg4 compression
• Explains how computer networks and the Internet work and their applications
• Covers business data processing, World Wide Web, e-commerce, and IT laws
• Discusses social impacts of IT and career opportunities in IT and IT enabled services
• Designed for self-study with every chapter starting with learning objectives and concluding with a comprehensive summary and a large number of exercises.