This edition begins with a review of the basics of brain-behavior relationships and pertinent medical terminology for treating individuals who have a neurological impairment. Each disorder is then introduced in a case-based format with a Target Model that includes a diagnostic profile along with treatment considerations and a functional analysis of the case.
New to the second edition:
* Current therapeutic information and strategies with a review of recent research pertaining to individuals with acquired language disorders and individuals with cognitive communication deficits secondary to mild brain injury
* Resources for cognitive assessments of people with aphasia, and new directions and interventions for patients with dementia
* Twenty-three treatment programs including 11 new approaches such as Speech Entrainment; A Program for Phonological Alexia/Agraphia; Oral Reading for Language in Aphasia with Virtual Therapist (ORLA-VT); and more
* Discussion of innovative approaches for treating aphasia such as Repeated Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (rTMS); Anodal Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation (A-tDCS); and Cathodal Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation (C-tDCS)A "Test Your Knowledge" section with questions based on 10 patient scenarios that instructors can also use as a professional discussion tool
* Color inserts and a Quick Reference Diagnostic Chart for Acquired Language Disorders (ALD) that addresses and provides diagnostic information for the major nonfluent and fluent aphasias as well as other ALDs.
* A sample, completed Functional Communications Connections Worksheet included in the color insert and a blank version included in the appendix for treatment planning purposes
By providing a variety of ALD patient cases along with critical thinking activities for students and a review for clinicians, Acquired Language Disorders: A Case-Based Approach, Second Edition demonstrates its relevance in both the classroom and clinical settings.
Disclaimer: Please note that ancillary content (such as documents, audio, and video, etc.) may not be included as published in the original print version of this book.