In 1995, Dr. Mike Golio, an electrical engineer, became seriously interested in planning for early retirement. In 2003, at the age of 49, he and his wife achieved their goal of financial independence and retired. Engineering Your Retirement is an outgrowth of his research. Whether retirement is imminent or many years off, this valuable guide's straightforward, analytical approach to financial independence answers the critical questions to achieving successful, comfortable, and meaningful retirement.
Written specifically for professionals in the engineering, science, and math fields, Engineering Your Retirement examines such important questions as:
* How much money will I need to retire?
* How long will it take for me to accumulate it?
* What types of post-retirement activities are available to technical professionals?
Engineering Your Retirement discusses financial independence from the unique cultural view of the technical professional and features many charts, graphs, analytical tools, and equations to help present the financial nuts-and-bolts of retiring in a logical and analytical manner. It offers practical, firsthand advice from an industry expert on:
* Effectively budgeting for investments
* Planning for health insurance
* Choosing a retirement community
* Building up a cash/bond ladder
* Considering inflation
* Portfolio requirements
* Investment allocations
* Paying off a mortgage
* And much more!
Are you nearing (or already basking in) retirement? This helpful guide addresses the unique financial opportunities and challenges you'll face as you enter your golden years.
Personal Finance For Seniors For Dummies empowers you to chart your financial course for the decades to come, guiding you through the basics of creating a budget for retirement, investing accrued assets, taking advantage of governmental and nongovernmental benefits and planning for your family's future. You'll get trusted, practical information on reexamining investment strategies and rebalancing a portfolio, long-term care options, pension plans and social security, health care, Medicare, and prescription drug costs, and so much more.
- Advice on how to invest, spend, and protect your wealth
- Guidance on wills and trusts
- Other titles by Tyson: Personal Finance For Dummies, Investing For Dummies, and Home Buying For Dummies
Personal Finance For Seniors For Dummies is basic enough to help novices get their arms around thorny financial issues, while also challenging advanced readers to identify areas for improvement.
Since the initial publication of Economics For Dummies in 2005, the U.S. has endured a number of drastic changes and events that sent its economy into a tailspin. This newly revised edition presents updated material about the recent financial crisis and the steps taken to repair it.
Packed with refreshed information and relevant new examples from today's economy, it gives you a straightforward, easy-to-grasp understanding of how the economy functions-and how it influences personal finances.
- New information on deciphering consumer behavior
- Refresh coverage of fiscal and monetary policies
- A new chapter on health care policy and the financial crisis
Presenting complex theories in simple terms and helping you decode the jargon, understand the equations, and debunk the common misconceptions, Economics For Dummies tackles the topic in terms you can understand.
An insider's guide on how professionals and consumers can minimize damages in the divorce process
Anyone planning for a divorce needs to learn strategies necessary to safeguard assets in advance of filing, how to cope with issues beyond their control, minimize the damage, and effectively plan going forward after the divorce. Personal Financial Planning for Divorce is an insider's guide on how both professionals and consumers can prepare for, work through, negotiate, and plan equitable divorce settlements.
This helpful guide
- Contains all the guidelines for reducing damage throughout the difficult process of divorce
- Includes examples of how not to handle the divorce process and how these issues should be handled
- Provides checklists, planning charts, forms and tables
- Features strategies to safeguard assets in advance of filing for divorce and how to cope with issues beyond your control
Personal Financial Planning for Divorce covers the many issues to help you understand exactly how divorce will affect you financially.
This easy-to-understand guide shows you how to assess your financial situation, calculate debt, prepare a budget, trim spending, boost your income, and improve your credit score. You’ll find ways to run a money-smart household, reduce waste, and cut medical and transportation expenses as you tackle your debt head-on and develop good saving habits. You’ll even get help choosing the right mortgage and avoiding foreclosure, saving for college or retirement, and determining your home-, car-, and life insurance needs. Discover how to:
- Take charge of your finances
- Manage home and personal finances
- Lower your taxes and avoid tax audits
- Plan a budget and scale back on expenses
- Deal with debt and negotiate with creditors
- Save and invest safely for college or retirement
- Protect your money and assets from fraud and identity theft
- Ensure a comfortable retirement
- Plan your estate and safeguard a will or trust
Managing Your Money All-in-One For Dummies brings you seven great books for the price of one. Can you think of a better way to start managing your money wisely?
Nationally known personal finance expert Terry Savage helps you answer the most important retirement questions
During a time when looking to the future is more important than ever, author Terry Savage offers street smart advice for the many soon-to-be retirees wondering how much longer they will have to work to make up for the losses in their retirement accounts. The New Savage Number provides the strategic guidance and hands-on techniques necessary to plan a successful, satisfying retirement.
Throughout the book, Savage helps you figure out how much money you need to retire-your savage number-and how to invest to reach that goal. Then, as retirement looms, she guides you through the process of planning withdrawals so the money lasts your entire lifetime. In between, Savage offers practical advice on everything from getting personal finances organized to insuring retirement plans against the disastrous need for long-term care. An informative, engaging book that future retirees of every age can utilize, The New Savage Number
- Contains updated chapters reflect the current economy including changes to the mortgage market and stock market performance
- Takes issues such as social security, long term insurance, and new investment risks into consideration
- Offers guidance on continuing to earn income in retirement
Written with every retirement bound individual in mind, The New Savage Number, Second Edition provides you with the tools needed to rescue your retirement.
Written by a seasoned investment advisor, this guide features:
- Exchange-traded funds, the popular investing trend
- Step-by-step guidance for novice online investors
- Insider advice on choosing the right financial advisor
- How to minimize investing taxes . . . and keep more profits
- The best ways to profit in any economy
- Strategies to knock out debt and set realistic investment goals
- Tips for tracking the your investments
- Exchange-traded funds (ETFs)
- The latest information on green investing
This quick study guide for candidates preparing to take the CFP Certification Examination covers the bare-bones essentials needed to pass this challenging exam in a logical and easy-to-absorb manner. Now, in a Second Edition, it covers some of the most important disciplines of financial planning--insurance, employee benefit, investment, income tax, retirement, estate, and general planning--and provides a no-nonsense approach to studying that includes:
* A highly logical and candidate-friendly format
* An in-depth outline of core essentials
* Explanations of all relevant exposures complete with solutions and practical examples
* Key points, exam tips, multiple-choice, and mini-case study questions
* Mnemonic devices and study techniques to reinforce key points
* A format that directly parallels the CFP? Board's topic requirements
The Second Edition adds new multiple-choice questions that correlate to the testing and understanding of the new curriculum established by the Certified Financial Planning Board as well as eighty-nine all-new topics related to the new CFP Board Exam.
For students who have been through the traditional CFP educational programs and want a book that brings it all together, Rattiner's Review for the CFP Certification Examination, Fast Track Study Guide, Second Edition keeps students organized, on track, and focused on what they need to succeed. In addition to its value as a quick-reference guide to complement all CFP texts and self-study materials, the Guide also serves as an important one-stop resource for financial services professionals who want information in a hurry.
Winning Clients in a Wired World: Seven Strategies for Growing Your Business Using Technology and the Web
Now that the Internet bubble has burst, financial service professionals are looking for more realistic ways to use technology to their advantage. J. K. Lasser Pro Taming Technology offers easy and effective methods to do just that. This comprehensive guide puts what's available today in technology into a cohesive framework-one that offers a systematic way to think about and implement technology-to build and strengthen relationships with clients and prospects. J. K. Lasser Pro Taming Technology is a valuable resource for financial service professionals seeking clear, practical advice on using technology and the Internet to acquire and retain profitable business. This book provides readers with easy-to-use ideas and techniques to successfully incorporate technology into their business promotion.