Packed with the practical, hands–on guidance and technical know–how that you’ve come to expect from Apress, Don’t Spend A Dime: The Path to Low–Cost Computing takes you on a tour of the very best zero–cost software in each of the many categories that matter to the typical PC user. Learn to edit photos on the Internet without having to install any software at all. Find out where to get a free office suite for word processing and spreadsheet work. Whatever your need, James Kelly, best–selling technology author, guides you through the exciting and often confusing world of zero–cost computing. This book
Before you go buy that $400.00 office suite—or worse, before you “borrow” it from work—stop! Let this book show you how to save hundreds of dollars in expensive software. Learn all about the free tools that the digerati use to make their lives better, and stop paying out the nose for software. Don’t spend a dime!
LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT-G Programming Guide, Second Edition focuses on the NXT-G programming language. Readers 10 years old and up learn to apply NXT-G to real-life problems such as moving and turning, locating objects based upon their color, making decisions, and much more. Perfect for for those who are new to programming, the book covers the language, the underlying mathematics, and explains how to calibrate and adjust robots for best execution of their programming.Provides programming techniques and easy-to-follow examples for each and every programming block Includes homework-style exercises for use by educators Gives clear instructions on how to build a test robot for use in running the example programs
Please note: the print version of this title is black & white; the eBook is full color.
Linux Pocket Guide provides an organized learning path to help you gain mastery of the most useful and important commands. Whether you’re a novice who needs to get up to speed on Linux or an experienced user who wants a concise and functional reference, this guide provides quick answers.
Selected topics include:The filesystem and shellFile creation and editingText manipulation and pipelinesBackups and remote storageViewing and controlling processesUser account managementBecoming the superuserNetwork connectionsAudio and videoInstalling softwareProgramming with shell scripts
Thinking, and betting, like the pros
"Most people in sports betting are looking at things the wrong way."
- Peter Webb, founder of Bet Angel
"Some people only ever seem to want to hit the sexy six, and not take the singles"
- Compton Hellyer, founder of Sporting Index
This is a book that teaches you how to bet on sports with the same discipline and mindset as the professionals.
Lots of books and websites give advice on profitable strategies - and tipsters and systems proliferate. But this is the only guide that helps you make your trades and bank your wins for the long term, avoiding the perennial dangers of overconfidence, irrationality and emotion.
However successful your selections, you are never safe from crippling losses until you know how to bet with the clear head and calm approach of the masters.
The simple fact is that most people betting on sports lose over the long term. Performance errors currently hamper the majority of bettors: they lose their bets because they first lose their heads.The only answer is to think differently. With chapters ranging across motivation, performance analysis, the betting process and going pro, this book is the definitive guide to achieving this:
- Use dozens of exercises to sharpen your thinking and refine your betting processes.
- Share in the exclusive insights of professional sports bettors, who reveal for the first time how they have built successful gambling careers.
- Benefit in every chapter from one-to-one training from the author, a professional sports and trading performance coach.
Sports Betting to Win is your own personal course for establishing a firm psychological foundation for long-term betting success.
Right now, you can print practically any 3D object you can imagine–from toys to gadgets to replacement parts, and beyond! All you need is a 3D printer…and they’re simpler and cheaper than you ever imagined. This full-color, step-by-step guide will get you started–and if you want, it’ll even walk you through building your own 3D printer from an inexpensive kit.
Packed with colorful photos and screenshots, it explains all the crucial details other books skip. You’ll walk through choosing and assembling your new 3D printer kit…brainstorming and designing new objects with free software…and then printing them on your brand-new 3D printer.
3D printing is today’s hottest new technological revolution, and this book takes you right to the cutting edge!
Discover how 3D printers work and what you can do with them Compare and choose your first 3D printer–either pre-built or kit Assemble Printrbot Simple, one of the world’s easiest 3D printer kits Install and configure software that tells your 3D printer what to do Print your first 3D project from an existing object file Use free Tinkercad software to create your own original 3D models Explore AutoDesk’s free software for 3D printing Use Print-It-For-You services for projects your home printer can’t handle Find great 3D printing projects and models on the Web Imagine creative new uses for your 3D printer
instructions with callouts to photos that show you exactly what to do
when you run into problems or limitations with Evernote
Tips and Notes
to help you take full advantage of Evernote on your smartphone, tablet, or computer
Full-color, step-by-step tasks walk you through making the most of
Evernote –free or premium, on any device! Learn how to
• Install and use Evernote on your iPhone, Android, iPad, BlackBerry, Windows Phone, PC or Mac, and beyond
• Create and share notebooks, customized just the way you like, and organize your
notes your way
• Save images, drawings, handwriting, web content, even webcam snapshots in
notes you can access anywhere, anytime
• Add notes straight from Twitter or Google+, and link Evernote to your Facebook account
• Format your notes to look great, and easily print the notes you want to file
the old-fashioned way
• Build easy-to-use To Do lists, complete with checkboxes
• Sync your notes across multiple devices, and store them in the cloud so they’re always available over the Web
• Import notes from other popular note-taking tools, such as Microsoft OneNote and
• Record high-quality audio notes and organize and share them as needed
• Send notes to Evernote from Apple’s Siri digital assistant
• Organize, tag, and search your notebooks to instantly find whatever you’re looking for
• Install and use the Evernote Web Clipper in all popular web browsers
• Securely share notebooks publicly or privately and collaborate with teams, wherever they are
• Find apps and add-ons that make Evernote do even more for you
CATEGORY: Desktop Applications
USER LEVEL: Beginning-Intermediate
Don't be intimidated by abbreviations like CNC and terms like computer-aided design. Patrick and James have chosen a CNC-machine design that is simple to fabricate. You need only basic woodworking skills and a budget of perhaps $500 to $1,000 to spend on the wood, a router, and various other parts that you'll need. With some patience and some follow-through, you'll soon be up and running with a really fun machine that'll unleash your creativity and turn your imagination into physical reality.The authors go on to show you how to test your machine, including configuring the software. Provides links for learning how to design and mill whatever you can dream up The perfect parent/child project that is also suitable for scouting groups, clubs, school shop classes, and other organizations that benefit from projects that foster skills development and teamwork No unusual tools needed beyond a circular saw and what you likely already have in your home toolbox Teaches you to design and mill your very own wooden and aluminum parts, toys, gadgets—whatever you can dream up
with callouts to Xoom photos that
show you exactly what to do
Tips and Advice
when you run into Xoom problems
Dozens of App Recommendations
to help you get the most from
Full-color, step-by-step tasks walk you through getting and keeping
your Xoom working just the way you want. Learn how to:
• Connect your Xoom to a WiFi network
• Check email accounts and browse the web
• Read eBooks and listen to music
• Take photos and shoot video with the built-in cameras
• Play some fun and addictive games
• Never get lost with built-in GPS navigation and maps
• Stay in touch with webchat and Instant Messaging
• Turn your Xoom into a great personal assistant
• Put dozens of Google’s free services to work
• Use accessories to extend your Xoom’s capabilities