It includes all the required English and Latin selections from Caesar's De Bello Gallico for the 2012-2013 AP* Curriculum.
Texts presented with the syntactically parsed Latin on one page and vocabulary glosses on the other Visual display of the syntactic structure of each Latin sentence throughout, with main clauses touching the left margin, subordinate clauses shown indented, and multiple subordinate clauses arranged to illustrate which clauses are dependent on which other clauses? Helpful grammar notes provided alongside the texts High frequency vocabulary included in a separate appendix to encourage efficient vocabulary acquisition Selected texts carefully chosen in line with the Advanced Placement Latin exam.
Caesar’s D? Bell? Gallic?: A Syntactically Parsed Readerhas been developed by an experienced university instructor. It is ideal for students seeking to improve their ability to read and understand Latin prose straight from the page.
Wheelock's Latin, sixth edition, revised, has all the features that have made it the best–selling single–volume beginning Latin textbook, many of them revised and expanded:
o 40 chapters with grammatical explanations and readings based on ancient Roman authors
o Self–tutorial exercises with an answer key for independent study
o An extensive English–Latin/ Latin–English vocabulary section
o A rich selection of original Latin readings –– unlike other textbooks which contain primarily made–up Latin texts
o Etymological aids
Also includes maps of the Mediterranean, Italy and the Aegean area, as well as numerous photographs illustrating aspects of classical culture, mythology, and historical and literary figures presented in the chapter readings.
o The leading self–tutorial Latin program. Also great for college and accelerated high school courses.
o Wheelock's Latin is the top–selling Latin reference in the US.
o Interest and enrolments in Latin have been steadily rising in the U.S. for the past 20 years. One–half million people are currently enrolled in Latin classes, and at least 10,000 teachers, professors and graduate assistants are teaching the language in America.
The story of Rome is told by the ancient authors themselves. Authentic texts help to guide the student through the mechanics of Latin, whilst giving insights into the history of Rome, her culture and society, her gods, her games, her power struggles and the eventual fall of empire.
Originally published as Essential Latin, this extensively revised and expanded second edition features:Reading passages from Latin prose authors, including Cicero, Petronius, Pliny, Sallust, Suetonius and Tacitus, and from poets (Catullus, Horace, Juvenal, Martial, Ovid and Virgil) with guidance on reading aloud and meter. A detailed step-by-step approach to Latin grammar, with engaging activities and exercises. A companion website with a full answer key for exercises, translations, grammar reference tables for the USA, the UK, Europe and elsewhere, additional exercises, word lists and other supports: http://www.lingua.co.uk/latin/materials/complete-latin
Ideal for classroom use or independent study, The Complete Latin Course will prove an invaluable resource for undergraduate and postgraduate students, adult learners and anyone interested in comprehensively developing their knowledge of Latin.
LNM employs a fusion of the reading approach and the traditional grammar/translation method. Lessons on Latin morphology, grammar, and syntax flow from and employ examples from the Latin readings that are adapted from Roman and post-antique Latin writers. Such readings provide students a literary-rich vocabulary. Ample exercises build students’ facility with reading and writing Latin. A Talking section in each chapter provides contemporary Latin and lends itself to practicing oral Latin while the Teacher's Manuals feature a bounty of aural-oral activities and exercises.
The Second Edition includes a list of English derivatives for the Vocabulary to Learn of each chapter (and a new exercise in the workbook) as well as an additional six new exercises that provide laddering and reinforcement as suggested by teachers using Latin for the New Millennium. The Second Edition also includes corrections and minor changes to macrons and illustrations.
• fusion of the best of the reading approach and the grammar-translation approach
• Latin passages in each chapter that are adapted from Latin literature
• each chapter contains an unadapted selection of classical Latin from Nepos’s Life of Atticus
• text ends with ten additional unadapted selections from the Life of Atticus for students’ transition to authors courses
• Nepos selections accompanied by facing notes and vocabulary
• clear, concise grammatical explanations that flow from the Latin readings
• abundant exercises, both Latin to English and English to Latin
• Latin Talking About a Reading section in each chapter featuring contemporary conversation topics such as “The Joys of Life”
• variety of aural/oral exercises (in Teacher's Manual)
• literary vocabulary geared to upper level literature and AP® Latin syllabi
• review unit for every three chapters
• derivative and proverb studies
• background essays on the daily life and culture of post-ancient world to complement the authentic Latin readings
• essays on the heroes of classical mythology
• essays connecting the ancient, post-ancient, and modern worlds written by university scholars
• 192 full-color illustrations, many of which are reproductions of great works of art
• three maps custom-made for Latin for the New Millennium
• student-friendly Study Tips, By the Ways, and Take Notes
• timelines of historical and literary events
?Features include:Careful management and repetition of vocabulary used to encourage sole focus on the grammar A variety of exercises to enable students to recognize and isolate the grammatical structures in English, helping them to translate into Latin with greater ease Frequent Latin to English and full English to Latin translations Exercises requiring students to modify aspects of Latin sentences in order to enable improved grammar acquisition
Written by an experienced instructor, Intensive Intermadiate Latin: A Grammar and Workbook is an ideal resource for students who want to build on their foundations of Latin. The title can be used as a textbook, grammar reference and practice resource for students and independent learners with some knowledge of the language.
Intensive Intermediate Latin, with its sister volume Basic Latin, forms a compendium of essentials of Latin grammar.