Catholicism For Dummies is not a catechism or religioustextbook, but a casual, down-to-earth introduction for Catholicsand non-Catholics. It gives commonsense explanations of Catholicweddings, Baptisms, funerals, Confirmations, and First Communions.You'll also discover other important topics that can help youbetter understand the Catholic culture—from morality anddevotions to worship and liturgy.
There are more than one billion Catholics in the world, and eachone shares a foundational set of basic beliefs and practices thathe or she follows. Some of the teachings of Catholicism arethousands of years old, while others are more recent. So what isthe Catholic culture like and what do they believe? CatholicismFor Dummies answers these and many other questions.
- Various stances within American Catholicism today
- Covers the death of John Paul II and the succession of PopeBenedict XVI, who has supported the return of the Latin Mass amongcongregations who desire to celebrate it
- Expanded information on baptism, confirmation, and the othersacraments
- New information about the priesthood and religious lifetoday
- Twenty-first-century issues and questions modern Catholicsface, including gay marriage, abortion, and the death penalty
Catholicism For Dummies presents a rich tapestry andhistory of the Catholic faith—from devotions to doctrines.This intelligent and faithful look at Catholicism will open youreyes to this religion and answer many of the questions you may haveabout it.