You'll discover the city through the eyes of Jen Santos, a US citizen who has chosen to make Salvador her home. She remembers all too well what it's like to want to learn more, so much more, about this magical city and hating feeling like she was missing out because of the language barrier. This book is written for the first time visitor so you have all of the resources you need to make the most of your time in this city of enchantment.
What you’ll find in the guide:
• Help choosing the best time to visit — based upon price, weather, and your specific interests
• Monthly weather patterns
• Month-by-month calendar of major holidays and festivals
• Pre-travel information, including visas, vaccines, power adapters, and essential apps
• Best options for getting around town, including the all-important airport transfer
• Day-to-day essentials, including how to use our ATMs, grocery store and pharmacy information, how to get a phone chip, public wi-fi, and more
• Public safety information — basic do's and don’ts
• Information about local customs and greetings, tipping, and the souvenir scene
• The perfect 4 days — a detailed itinerary for the on-the-go traveler
• The must-try food and drink of Salvador — we have a food scene all our own here
• Top tips for going to the beach, including what you should expect to pay
• Guides for the five most popular neighborhoods for visitors
• The all-time top 10 things to do in Salvador — both well-known and off the beaten path
• More than 50 color photos
• 5 custom downloadable neighborhood maps with points of interest and safe and not-so-safe streets identified
• Links to dozens of helpful websites and blogs
• SPECIAL FEATURE: Pelourinho walking tour — a custom walking tour for the dozens of points of interest in the city's historic center. Includes opening and closing hours, admission fees, and if English-language resources are available
Jumpstart your trip planning and be prepared to be enchanted. Click the buy button and get your copy today.
Discover Salvador, Brazil is formatted specifically for eBook with the on-the-go traveler in mind.
After falling head-over-heels in love with Salvador in 2013, Jen Santos has made Salvador, Bahia, Brazil, her home since 2016.
Since arriving on the sunny shores of Salvador from the U.S., she has made a point of learning the language, culture, and traditions of her adopted city and country.
Married to a Brazilian musician in a city known for its arts and music scene, she dove right into the music scene and now spends her Saturdays playing surdo in a samba-reggae street band, including two appearances in Caranval with the group, Kizumba. During the pandemic, she learned to make xequerês, a traditional beaded gourd instrument used in various regional musical styles. She and her musician-husband, Bira, also regularly attend shows and cultural events throughout the city.
This guide book and her accompanying website, SalvadorGuidebook.com, are a love letter to Salvador to help demystify the city for English speakers. She still remembers all too well what it's like to struggle in a city where few speak English and the feeling that with just a few pointers, she could discover a whole new level of enchantment.
Use this book and site to discover the magic of Salvador. We can't wait for you to visit!