Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Analysis Services Unleashed is the ultimate guide for anyone who is planning to use the latest version of Analysis Services. It gives readers insight into the way Analysis Services functions, and explains practical methods for designing and creating multidimensional objects. It also provides valuable insight into the reasons behind the design decisions taken by the product development team. The authors have been involved with Analysis Services from its earliest days. They have documented in detail the internal features of Analysis Services 2008, explaining server architecture, main data structures, data processing, and query resolution algorithms.
Category: Microsoft SQL Server
Covers: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Analysis Services
User Level: Intermediate-Advanced
Alexander Bergerwas one of the first developers to work on OLAP systems at Panorama, prior to their purchase by Microsoft. After the acquisition, Alexander led the development of Microsoft OLAP Server through all of its major releases prior to SSAS 2008. Currently, Alexander leads the Business Intelligence department for Microsoft adCenter. He is one of the architects of OLEDB for the OLAP standard and MDX language, and holds more than 30 patents in the area of multidimensional databases.
Edward Melomed is one of the original members of the Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services team. He arrived in Redmond as part of Microsoft’s acquisition of Panorama Software Systems, Inc., which led to the technology that gave rise to Analysis Services 2008. He works as a program manager at Microsoft and plays a major role in the infrastructure design for the Analysis Services engine.
Sams Teach Yourself SQL in 10 Minutes, Fourth Edition
New full-color code examples help you see how SQL statements are structured
Whether you're an application developer, database administrator, web application designer, mobile app developer, or Microsoft Office users, a good working knowledge of SQL is an important part of interacting with databases. And Sams Teach Yourself SQL in 10 Minutes offers the straightforward, practical answers you need to help you do your job.
Expert trainer and popular author Ben Forta teaches you just the parts of SQL you need to know–starting with simple data retrieval and quickly going on to more complex topics including the use of joins, subqueries, stored procedures, cursors, triggers, and table constraints.
You'll learn methodically, systematically, and simply–in 22 short, quick lessons that will each take only 10 minutes or less to complete.
With the Fourth Edition of this worldwide bestseller, the book has been thoroughly updated, expanded, and improved. Lessons now cover the latest versions of IBM DB2, Microsoft Access, Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL, SQLite, MariaDB, and Apache Open Office Base. And new full-color SQL code listings help the beginner clearly see the elements and structure of the language.
Use the major SQL statements Construct complex SQL statements using multiple clauses and operators Retrieve, sort, and format database contents Pinpoint the data you need using a variety of filtering techniques Use aggregate functions to summarize data Join two or more related tables Insert, update, and delete data Create and alter database tables Work with views, stored procedures, and more Table of Contents
2 Retrieving Data
4 Filtering Data
5 Advanced Data Filtering
6 Using Wildcard Filtering
7 Creating Calculated Fields
8 Using Data Manipulation Functions
9 Summarizing Data
10 Grouping Data
11 Working with Subqueries
12 Joining Tables
13 Creating Advanced Joins
14 Combining Queries
15 Inserting Data
16 Updating and Deleting Data
17 Creating and Manipulating Tables
18 Using Views
19 Working with Stored Procedures
20 Managing Transaction Processing
21 Using Cursors
22 Understanding Advanced SQL Features
Appendix A: Sample Table Scripts
Appendix B: Working in Popular Applications
Appendix C : SQL Statement Syntax
Appendix E: SQL Reserved Words
- Covers Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, IBM DB2, MySQL, PostgreSQL, and Microsoft Access.
- Learn the core language for standard SQL, and variations for the most widely used database systems.
- Organize your database in terms of the relational model.
- Master tables, columns, rows, and keys.
- Retrieve, sort, and format data.- Filter the data that you don't want to see.
- Convert and manipulate data with SQL's built-in functions and operators.
- Use aggregate functions to summarize data.
- Create complex SQL statements by using joins, subqueries, constraints, conditional logic, and metadata.
- Create, alter, and drop tables, indexes, and views.
- Insert, update, delete, and merge data.
- Execute transactions to maintain the integrity of your data.
- Avoid common pitfalls involving nulls.
- Troubleshoot and optimize queries.
- Plenty of tips, tricks, and timesavers.
- Fully cross-referenced, linked, and searchable.
1. Running SQL Programs
2. The Relational Model
3. SQL Basics
4. Retrieving Data from a Table
5. Operators and Functions
6. Summarizing and Grouping Data
9. Set Operations
10. Inserting, Updating, and Deleting Rows
11. Creating, Altering, and Dropping Tables