?Features include:Careful management and repetition of vocabulary used to encourage sole focus on the grammar A variety of exercises to enable students to recognize and isolate the grammatical structures in English, helping them to translate into Latin with greater ease Frequent Latin to English and full English to Latin translations Exercises requiring students to modify aspects of Latin sentences in order to enable improved grammar acquisition
Written by an experienced instructor, Intensive Intermadiate Latin: A Grammar and Workbook is an ideal resource for students who want to build on their foundations of Latin. The title can be used as a textbook, grammar reference and practice resource for students and independent learners with some knowledge of the language.
Intensive Intermediate Latin, with its sister volume Basic Latin, forms a compendium of essentials of Latin grammar.
presents the story of Hypsipyle and the women of Lemnos in a
student-friendly reader designed to facilitate the reading,
comprehension, and enjoyment of this high-interest tale. Discussion
Questions encourage careful reading of and thoughtful reflection on the
text, while Connections to the Aeneid questions prompt students who are familiar with Vergil's epic to explore the relationship of the Thebaid to its literary predecessor. This text provides the unadapted Latin text of the Thebaid Book 5.1–637.
LNM employs a fusion of the reading approach and the traditional grammar/translation method. Lessons on Latin morphology, grammar, and syntax flow from and employ examples from the Latin readings that are adapted from Roman and post-antique Latin writers. Such readings provide students a literary-rich vocabulary. Ample exercises build students' facility with reading and writing Latin. A Talking section in each chapter provides contemporary Latin and lends itself to practicing oral Latin while the Teacher's Manuals feature a bounty of aural-oral activities and exercises.
The Second Edition includes a list of English derivatives for the Vocabulary to Learn of each chapter (and a new exercise in the workbook) as well as an additional eight new exercises that provide laddering and reinforcement as suggested by teachers using Latin for the New Millennium. The Second Edition also includes corrections and minor changes to macrons and illustrations.
• fusion of the best of the reading approach and the grammar-translation approach
• Latin passages in each chapter that are adapted from Latin literature
• clear, concise grammatical explanations that flow from the Latin readings
• abundant exercises, both Latin to English and English to Latin
• Latin Talking section in each chapter featuring contemporary conversation topics such as “Cleaning the House”
• variety of aural/oral exercises (in Teacher's Manual)
• literature-based vocabulary geared to the AP® Latin curriculum and other Latin literature courses.
• derivative and proverb studies
• essays on daily life in ancient Rome and cultural information to complement the authentic Latin readings
• scholarly essays that connect the ancient and modern worlds
• essays on the major deities of classical mythology
• review unit for every three chapters
• 170 full-color illustrations, many of which are reproductions of great works of art
• three maps custom-made for Latin for the New Millennium
• student-friendly Study Tips and By the Ways
• timelines of historical and literary events