Learn how to strengthen your students’ comprehension and increase their motivation to read independently by nurturing meaningful talk about reading. This book is packed with information, ideas, and step-by-step implementation tactics to help you teach your elementary-grade students to use metacognitive strategies such as predicting, making connections, questioning, visualizing, and summarizing while they read and discuss texts.
The following new pieces enhance this revised and updated bestseller:
- Explicit connections to the Common Core State Standards
- New rubrics and scales for each of the strategies
- Updates to all chapters based on years of implementation and feedback
- Fresh activities, assessment options, and centers in each of the strategy chapters
- Options for using technology resources within many activities
- Suggestions and resources for using this book for self-study or in professional learning groups
Throughout each chapter are classroom transcripts that illustrate solid teacher scaffolding and classroom discussion, as well as student samples that demonstrate deep learning. Strategy chapters present numerous activities you can use to teach the individual components of each metacognitive strategy. Plus, the book offers a vast collection of reproducibles and graphic organizers you can use immediately in your classroom.