No matter what shape you’re in, martial arts is a great way to drop extra pounds, learn to defend yourself, and develop personal and physical discipline. Whether you’re already studying a style of fighting or you’re just considering it, you’ll find everything you need to know in this helpful, friendly guide (including which movies to check out!).
The book breaks down the differences and presents the basics of each style of fighting, so you can make an informed choice about which style you want to study. You’ll also find out what makes for a good instructor, so you can be sure that you’re learning from the best. And there’s much more. You’ll find out:
- What martial arts is and is not
- Five resolutions you must accept
- Understanding the role of the instructor
- How to set goals for yourself
- All about the proper clothes, shoes, and equipment
- How to prevent injuries
- The philosophy of self defense
- All about competing in tournaments
- About Meditation and breathing techniques
- The lowdown on weapons
There’s also a helpful glossary of foreign-language terminology that you’ll frequently encounter in the dojo – that’s the training hall – so you’ll always be prepared. Whether you’re looking for a new way to get in shape, or a new way to sharpen your mind, Martial Arts For Dummies is all you need to get started in Karate, Kung Fu, Tae Kwon Do, or any other style!