No matter what shape you’re in, martial arts is a greatway to drop extra pounds, learn to defend yourself, and developpersonal and physical discipline. Whether you’re alreadystudying a style of fighting or you’re just considering it,you’ll find everything you need to know in this helpful,friendly guide (including which movies to check out!).
The book breaks down the differences and presents the basics ofeach style of fighting, so you can make an informed choice aboutwhich style you want to study. You’ll also find out whatmakes for a good instructor, so you can be sure that you’relearning from the best. And there’s much more. You’ll find out:
- What martial arts is and is not
- Five resolutions you must accept
- Understanding the role of the instructor
- How to set goals for yourself
- All about the proper clothes, shoes, and equipment
- How to prevent injuries
- The philosophy of self defense
- All about competing in tournaments
- About Meditation and breathing techniques
- The lowdown on weapons
There’s also a helpful glossary of foreign-languageterminology that you’ll frequently encounter in thedojo – that’s the traininghall – so you’ll always be prepared. Whetheryou’re looking for a new way to get in shape, or a new way tosharpen your mind, Martial Arts For Dummies is all you needto get started in Karate, Kung Fu, Tae Kwon Do, or any otherstyle!