This is the book for everyone who wants to preserve food—from novice to pro—with step-by-step explanations of techniques, ranging from the basics of canning to freezing, drying, fermenting, and pickling. Readers can preserve a range of produce including fruits, vegetables, herbs—anything in season can be “put by” to enjoy later. Included are techniques and recipes for jams and jellies, conserves and fruit butters, condiments, dried treats like fruit leathers and veggie chips, and freezer recipes. Also find recipes for pickles, sauerkraut, relishes, soups—even syrups. And when the tomatoes ripen all at once, check out a chapter on smart ways to preserve them.
With the basics covered, the book then moves to inventive recipes such as Honey-Lavender Peaches and Caramel Apple Jam. The experts at Better Homes and Gardens even cover lower-sugar jelly and jam options as well as no-pectin jams. Complete with printed labels to personalize jars, this book takes readers easily from produce to preserved food.
Fermentation has given us some of the food world’s most treasured delights, and with DIY Fermentation, making delicious probiotic foods in your own kitchen has never been easier. Accessible overviews of fundamental fermentation techniques and step-by-step recipes provide the basic skills you will turn to again and again as you experiment with nourishing ferments at home. Work your way through a wide range of do-it-yourself fermentation projects with:
· 100+ recipes to make your own sauerkraut, kimchi, pickles, kefir, yogurt, vinegar, kombucha, hard apple cider, and more
· Recipes ranging from beginner to advanced to put your skills to the test
· Detailed troubleshooting guides to ensure fermentation success
· Insider tips and anecdotes from fermentation experts
· Step-by-step illustrations to stay on track
· A bonus chapter integrating homemade ferments into everyday cooking
Enjoy all the health benefits and delicious flavors of naturally fermented vegetables, fruits, dairy, beverages, breads, condiments, and much more with this invaluable guide to unleash your inner DIYer and master your fermentation skills.
From Japanese Tsukemono to Korean kimchi, from German sauerkraut to Indian chutney, pickling is part of a long and rich tradition of food culture around the world, and with DIY Pickling, making delicious sweet, sour, spicy and fermented pickles in your own kitchen has never been easier. Included are the fundamental pickling techniques that you’ll turn to again and again in your pursuit of pickling perfection. Work your way through a wide range of pickling projects with:
- Over 100 step-by-step pickling recipes
- Detailed troubleshooting guides to ensure pickling success
- Insider tips and anecdotes from pickling experts
- Chapters dedicated to fermented pickles and Asian pickles
- Instructions for canning and storing your pickles
- A bonus chapter about how to integrate pickles into your everyday cooking
Whether you are new to pickling or looking to go beyond the basics, DIY Pickling will give you the tools and tips you need to unleash your inner kitchen crafter and master your pickling skills.