Rather than inundate Louis with confusing rules and lifeless examples, the Guru instructs Louis on the meaning underlying the various grammatical forms. Through their encounters, Louis comes to the realization that the Guru’s meaning-based approach to teaching grammar and jocular character makes learning it much more rewarding and even fun. Also included in the book are a series of meaning-based exercises.
Patrick Duffley is a full-time linguistics professor at Laval University’s Faculté les lettres et sciences humaines. He has published extensively in the field of English semantics and is the author of three books including The English Infinitive and The English Gerund-Participle. He currently resides in Sillery, Quebec.
Ryan Fisher holds a Master’s degree in Linguistics from Laval University and has taught ESL at the Cégep and university level. He co-authored the Grammar Guru and the Return of the Grammar Guru and also contributed to the Looking Ahead series of ESL textbooks. The Grammar Geek was inspired by his own teaching experience as well as his adventures as a student working in the Rocky Mountains in the 1990s. He currently teaches at Cégep Garneau in Quebec City and resides in Lévis, Quebec with his family.
Designed for learners of French of all ages, whether you are learning at school, in evening classes, for business or to go on holiday.
The text consists of 250 quirky and interesting French idioms which are arranged into different themes, and are given with simple example phrases to show them in context. Clear and concise language notes provide information on the meaning and background of some idioms, while handy culture notes help explain any cultural differences.
Combined with a text which has a selection of illustrations, the Collins Easy Learning French Idioms takes you beyond beginner level and expands your knowledge of frequently used, natural French expressions.
• Get it right: key idioms and example phrases help improve your knowledge of real French.
• Get there fast: clear themes help guide you to the type of idiom you're looking for.
• Have confidence: a fun, useful guide to common French idioms helps you increase your knowledge of natural French and French culture.
Designed for all those learning French at school, at work or at home. It provides easily accessible information in an attractively presented layout. Key grammatical points are highlighted throughout the text as a means of reinforcement. In addition, a full glossary gives clear explanations of grammatical terminology.
This book also provides beginners with all the regular verb forms and conjugations, and the most common tenses of irregular verbs are shown in full. An index contains thousands of verbs which are cross-referred to their conjugation model.
• Explains the essential points of French grammar using simple language throughout.
• Hundreds of examples of real French illustrate clearly the grammatical points being made.
• Specially designed for eReaders, including iPad, with a clear, colour layout.
An ideal tool for learners of French at all levels, whether at school, in evening classes, or at home, and is indispensable for business or leisure.
The text consists of 12 units each illustrating the language used in a particular situation, followed by a summary which gives all the key phrases covered throughout the book. The One-stop phrase shop unit gives you all the everyday expressions and language structures you need to speak in natural French. Finally, the short grammar and verb supplement and the glossary give you further help and ensure that you have everything you need at your fingertips, and the free audio download helps you to communicate with confidence.
• Easy to use: all the phrases you need in order to communicate effectively in natural French.
• Easy to read: clear layout ensures that you find what you are looking for quickly and easily.
• Easy to understand: thousands of examples show how French is really used.
This book gives you the essential tools to help you progress quickly in your study of French. The grammar, verb and vocabulary sections have been designed for all those learning French at school, in an evening class, for work or for leisure.
• Grammar: this section provides easily accessible information in an attractively presented layout. Key grammatical points are highlighted throughout the text as a means of reinforcement. Hundreds of examples of real French illustrate clearly the grammatical points being made. In addition, a full glossary gives clear and simple explanations of grammatical terminology.
• Verbs: you will find 112 fully conjugated regular and irregular verbs in this section. Each is self contained in a double-page spread showing all the major tenses. Major constructions and idiomatic phrases are given for all verb models, as well as hundreds of examples of real French to show you how verbs are used in context . An index contains thousands of verbs which are cross-referred to their conjugation model.
• Vocabulary: this handy section covering 50 topics (such as family, free time, careers, computing, education, food and drink, health, shopping) gives you all the vocabulary you need to communicate effectively in French.
With its clear, user-friendly grammar, all the most important French verbs shown in full, and an extensive vocabulary guide, this book gives you all the elements to start speaking and writing with confidence in French.