Sun Yat-sen was an important figure who had a major role in shaping China's modern history. There were also many other players in the fight for political power in China. Yuan Shikai, the Kuomintang (KMT) and the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) were just some of them.
This engaging book provides readers with descriptive articles and information on key figures and events that occurred in China from 1840 to 1949. Understanding the impact they had on China's modern history will give readers a better grasp of China's politics today.
Today, China's great treasury also contains bronzeware, jade carving, embroidery, ornamental knots, paper cuttings, snuff bottles and face masks.
Learn about these interesting details and more:
* The Silk Route as well as the Pottery and Porcelain Route of old China.
* The multitude of Chinese characters and idioms related to jade.
* Bronze artefacts unearthed at Qin burial site.
And interestingly, the predecessors who fled from the despotic King Zhou of the Shang Dynasty named themselves after the things that saved them: Li, which stood for the wild fruit muzi, and Lin, the forest which was a hide-out from the king!
Find out more fascinating details about 100 Chinese family names:
* Difference between surnames and clan names.
* Stories related to the most common surnames: Li, Wang, Zhang, Liu, Chen, Yang, Huang, and more.
* Naming traditions; names and fortune; manner of addressing.
As the book covers the entire span of recorded Chinese history from the past to the present, you will find it an eye-opener as a reference manual and a delightful source of little-known facts.