Uniquely bridging theory and practice, this text introduces and overviews the various domains associated with the term critical pedagogy in the field of TESOL/ELT. Critical pedagogy addresses concepts, values, curriculum, instructional and associated practices involved in language teaching for social justice. Bringing critical pedagogy to classroom practitioners in a practical and comprehensible way, the text is designed to help teachers get started on critically grounded work in their own teaching.
• Textbook extracts offer direct and quick illustration of what this perspective might look like in practice
• Coverage of feminist and anti-racist pedagogies; sexual identity, oppression and pedagogy; peace and environmental education; and critical English as a foreign language—and their implications for second-language teaching
• Historical background
• Theoretical background on language and learning
• Consideration of applicability of critical/radical educational concepts and traditions to non-Western cultural contexts
• A focus on issues of compromise and resistance
This original, timely, and informative text is ideal for any course on methods and approaches in TESOL.