Are you the parent of a strong-willed child? Is bedtime a nightly battle? Are you looking to discipline without stress?
Since kids don't come with a manual, 1-2-3 Magic is the next best thing. Dr. Thomas Phelan has developed a quick, simple and scientifically proven way to parent that actually works!
Using his signature 1-2-3 counting method, Dr. Phelan helps parents to curb obnoxious behaviors like tantrums and meltdowns, whining and pouting, talking back, sibling rivalry and more in toddlers, preschoolers and middle schoolers.
He guides parents through drama-free discipline methods that include handling time outs in public, the appropriate length of a time out, and what to do if your child resists the time out.
Dr. Phelan also covers how to establish positive routines around bedtime, dinnertime, homework and getting up and out in the morning, and tips for strengthening your relationship with your kids.
For decades, millions of parents from all over the world have used the award-winning 1-2-3 Magic technique to raise happier families and put the fun back into parenting.
1-2-3 Magic is one of Healthline's Best Parenting Books of 2017, a 2016 Mom's Choice Award Winner, a 2016 National Parenting Product Award Winner and a 2016 Family Choice Award Winner.
Temper tantrums may be the most upsetting behavioral problem many parents face from their children. Tantrums! arms confused and frustrated parents with simple, easy-to-follow directions on how to best manage the problem and guide kids appropriately. Readers will learn:
• The three main causes of temper tantrums
• The true power of the "10-Second Rule"
• The anatomy of a typical tantrum
• The chief problems with attempting to reason with or distract a child
Tantrums details an effortless four-step process for marshaling tantrums, as well as guidance on how to handle tantrums in public places, allowing parents to move beyond their fears of tantrums and regain control of their own homes.
From rule-breaking and risk-taking to defensive communication and disrespect, parenting a teenager can feel like modern warfare--but it doesn't have to be that way. In 1-2-3 Magic Teen, internationally renowned parenting expert Thomas W. Phelan explains how to better understand your teenager, which problems are not worth fighting over, and why your child's behavior likely matches the definition of a normal adolescent! With helpful, straightforward advice backed up by research and parent-tested strategies, 1-2-3 Magic Teen will help you establish a calmer, more respectful home and family life and show you how to guide your teenager into healthy, functional young adulthood.
• Learn the Language: Communicate with open and engaging language, and listen to your teenager the right way.
• Establish Expectations: Learn how to set limits while still encouraging independent decision-making and helping your child develop their emotional intelligence.
• Stay in Touch: Allow your teen to open up to you in more meaningful and inclusive ways through four simple connection building strategies.'
• Take Care of Yourself: Take time to maintain your own emotional well-being to avoid allowing your own anxieties and stresses to influence your children
You'll also find tools and advice tailored for the challenges of a teen lifestyle, including:
• Forgetting to do chores
• Absence in family outings
• Drop in grades
• Missed curfews
• Parties and drinking
• Work responsibilities
The author of the million-copy parenting bestseller 1-2-3 Magic applies his time-tested, trusted advice in this straightforward, encouraging guide that walks parents through the ups and downs of teen life, allowing them to help their kids gain confidence and push toward independence.