• One of Healthline's Best Parenting Books of 2017
• 2016 Mom's Choice Award Winner
• 2016 National Parenting Product Award Winner
• 2016 Family Choice Award Winner
"1-2-3 Magic made parenting fun again."
"My three-year-old has become a different little girl, and she is so much happier now."
"All I have to say is that the ideas in this book really WORK! It really is like magic!"
"Our home has become a much more positive place."
The sixth edition of the 1.8 million-copy bestseller 1-2-3 Magic by internationally acclaimed parenting expert Thomas W. Phelan, Ph.D. compiles two decades of research and experience into an easy-to-use program designed for parents striving to connect more deeply with their children and help them develop into healthy, capable teenagers and adults. Dr. Phelan breaks down the complex task of parenting into three straightforward steps:
1. Helping your children learn how to control their emotions and refrain from negative behavior, including tantrums, whining, and sibling rivalry
2. Encouraging good behavior in your children and providing positive feedback
3. Strengthening your relationships with your children to reinforce the natural parent-child bond
You'll find tools to use in virtually every situation, as well as real-life stories from parents who have successfully navigated common parenting challenges such as reluctance to do chores, talking back, and refusing to go to bed or getting up in the middle of the night. For years, millions of parents from all over the world have used the award-winning 1-2-3 Magic program to help their children develop emotional intelligence, raise healthier, happier families, and put the fun back into parenting.
Along with other highly-respected parenting classics such as How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk, Parenting with Love and Logic, The 5 Love Languages of Children, No Drama Discipline, and The Whole Brain Child, 1-2-3 Magic is an essential tool for parents hoping to connect more deeply with their children.
From rule-breaking and risk-taking to defensive communication and disrespect, parenting a teenager can feel like modern warfare--but it doesn't have to be that way. In 1-2-3 Magic Teen, internationally renowned parenting expert Thomas W. Phelan explains how to better understand your teenager, which problems are not worth fighting over, and why your child's behavior likely matches the definition of a normal adolescent! With helpful, straightforward advice backed up by research and parent-tested strategies, 1-2-3 Magic Teen will help you establish a calmer, more respectful home and family life and show you how to guide your teenager into healthy, functional young adulthood.
• Learn the Language: Communicate with open and engaging language, and listen to your teenager the right way.
• Establish Expectations: Learn how to set limits while still encouraging independent decision-making and helping your child develop their emotional intelligence.
• Stay in Touch: Allow your teen to open up to you in more meaningful and inclusive ways through four simple connection building strategies.'
• Take Care of Yourself: Take time to maintain your own emotional well-being to avoid allowing your own anxieties and stresses to influence your children
You'll also find tools and advice tailored for the challenges of a teen lifestyle, including:
• Forgetting to do chores
• Absence in family outings
• Drop in grades
• Missed curfews
• Parties and drinking
• Work responsibilities
The author of the million-copy parenting bestseller 1-2-3 Magic applies his time-tested, trusted advice in this straightforward, encouraging guide that walks parents through the ups and downs of teen life, allowing them to help their kids gain confidence and push toward independence.
Temper tantrums may be the most upsetting behavioral problem many parents face from their children. Tantrums! arms confused and frustrated parents with simple, easy-to-follow directions on how to best manage the problem and guide kids appropriately. Readers will learn:
• The three main causes of temper tantrums
• The true power of the "10-Second Rule"
• The anatomy of a typical tantrum
• The chief problems with attempting to reason with or distract a child
Tantrums details an effortless four-step process for marshaling tantrums, as well as guidance on how to handle tantrums in public places, allowing parents to move beyond their fears of tantrums and regain control of their own homes.