No ads, nags, or in-app purchases. No internet connection required. Fully functional offline learning app.
Using an approach similar to the Koch method, this 30 WPM Morse code CW learning app for Android focuses on listening to Morse code rather than visually learning dots and dashes.
Choose RX or TX Alphanumeric training, or select from Numbers, Prosigns, and Abbreviations.
Alphanumeric = ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ./?0123456789
Numbers = 0123456789
CW Prosigns = BT, HH, K, KN, SK, SOS, AA, AR, AS, CT, NJ, SN
CW Abbreviations = CQ, DE, BK, QTH, OP, UR, RST, 599, HW, FB, WX, ES, TU, 73, CL, QRL
There are two RX interface styles.
Using the Default or QWERTY keypad, Android plays a character in Morse code. Your task is to tap the matching keypad character. Once you have learned a character set with 90% proficiency, a new character is introduced. You will soon have a large pool of characters from which Android will choose, weighted toward those characters learned with a lower proficiency and those with least exposure before selecting randomly from the pool.
2) Copy Pad:
While using the Copy Pad, you are able to receive a string of Morse code characters and write in the whitespace with your finger or stylus. After the string is presented, the app pauses briefly so that you may self-check your accuracy. The whitespace is then automatically cleared and a new string of characters is played. You may change the word length from 1 to 10 characters. Please note: the Copy Pad DOES NOT attempt to recognize your handwriting.
There is one TX interface style.
1) Horizontal lever (straight key):
A character is played in Morse code, and you must tap out that character on the simulated straight lever. When you have learned to send a set of characters with 90% proficiency, a new character is added to the pool.
You should send at a speed that is comfortable while still retaining cadence. For sending fast code, an iambic paddle is helpful.
You can choose to see the code you are tapping out or the characters you have learned. You may also toggle the sound of the characters ON/OFF.
Additionally, you may replace the straight key image with the International Morse code chart.
You may use a real straight key with this app by connecting to your Android device via an easily modified USB mouse.
(DIY instructional pdf file)
Alternatively, you may use a 3rd-party device such as My-Key-Mouse USB.
Within the app, several elements respond to certain gestures:
1) Tap the large Character button just below top center to show or hide the presented character. Tap and hold to bring up Stats showing your Hits, Misses, and Correct percent.
2) Tap and hold any character keypad button and that character will be played in Morse code at 30 WPM without registering a hit or a miss.
3) While learning Prosigns or Abbreviations, tap on the definition text to show/hide the meaning of the CW prosign or abbreviation.
4) Tap and hold the Repeat/Resume button in the lower left to adjust keypad font size. Each keypad is individually adjusted. All font sizes may also be changed via your device's Display settings.
5) To reset your stats for a particular character set, from the Home Screen tap and hold the desired character set and you will be asked to confirm the action.
Lastly, if you have questions, suggestions, concerns, complaints or otherwise, please contact appsKG9E@gmail.com