In the current version of SRM+ from 2021-10-11, unlike the previous SRM from 2021-04-05, a new important function is added to detect "FILLER" sounds. Its use makes it possible to assess the degree of "pollution" of the analyzed speech.
The SpeechRateMeter (SRM+) software is designed to measure the speech tempo as a complex prosodic component of intonation, the parameters of which are:
1) Speech rate – Rs – total speed of reading the text (calculated as the number of words per minute during the actual pronunciation time, i.e. taking into account the duration of interphrase pauses);
2) Articulation rate – Ra – phonemic stream generation rate (calculated as the number of words per minute for the total time of articulation, i.e. without taking into account the duration of interphrase pauses);
3) Pauses score – Tp – the mean duration of the inter-phrase pauses (calculated as the RMS value of the duration of all pause sections);
4) Filler score – Tf – the relative duration of "filler" vocal insertions (calculated as a ratio in pae cents of the RMS to the average-median duration of vowels
In the upper part of the main window the numerical values of tempo parameters are displayed:
- Rs - Speech Rate (wpm) - inside the blue strip
- Ra - Articulation Rate (wpm) - inside the green strip
- Rf - Filler score (%) - inside the black strip
In the middle part of the window, the values of tempo parameters are graphically shown in the form of two moving arcs of different colors: blue – Rs, green – Ra and black - Rf. The length of these arcs is normalized relative to the user-specified minimum and maximum values of these parameters.
In the lower part of the working window, the calculated numerical values of the estimate of the average duration of inter-phrase pauses and the duration of the analyzed speech segment are displayed:
- Phrase Pauses score (sec),
- Speech Duration (sec).
The Speech Rate Meter can be useful in the following practically important situations:
• In scientific and applied research of prosodic characteristics of oral speech
• When preparing speeches and presentations for self-control and teaching the desired rate of speech;
• To improve the skills of free reading in the native and foreign languages;
• As a means of self-control to eliminate speech defects associated with various physiological disorders and diseases;
• For individual training of oral and speech skills in a number of professions such as: call center operators, radio, TV announcers, etc.;
• As a means of monitoring the rate of speech in real working conditions of call-center operators, radio and television announcers.
The Windows version of the SRM+ with User Guide are posted on the website: https://intontrainer.by and its publicly available for free download and testing.