Acid Ape Chess is a chess application that combines online and engine play in a carefully designed, stylish and responsive user interface.
Acid Ape Chess is aimed at serious players. It will not explain you what the en passant rule is nor display a shiny 3D chessboard. Instead, Acid Ape Chess provides you with the best chess user experience available on Android.
Acid Ape Chess is 100% free: no in-app purchases, no advertisements.
Acid Ape Chess features include:
• Play online on FICS/ICC/Lichess or offline against chess engines.
• Support for external UCI and CECP (aka. WinBoard/XBoard) chess engines, with pondering, adjustable strength and access to engine-specific settings. Supports the Open Exchange protocol (Komodo, Texel, ...) for easy engine registration.
• Three strong builtin engines are provided: Arasan (ranked #26 on CCRL 40/40, ELO 3054), Cheng 4 (ranked #32 on CCRL 40/40, ELO 3020) and Scorpio (ranked #56 on CCRL 40/40, ELO 2884).
• Uses an online service to provide Syzygy 3-4-5-6 men endgame tablebases. The use of an online service is the only practical way to benefit from state-of-the-art endgame tablebases on a mobile device, as the complete Syzygy 3-4-5-6 set requires more than 1 TB of disk space.
• Engine-aided analysis with real-time best move display. When there are less than 7 pieces left on the board, the online Syzygy 3-4-5-6 men endgame tablebases are automatically queried, immediately providing you with the perfect solution of the game.
• Automatic analysis: in this mode, the best move is automatically applied every x seconds until a checkmate or draw position is reached.
• Connect to your DGT e-Board via Bluetooth or USB and record two-player games; play against engines or remote humans.
• ECO opening information is displayed.
• A multi-page interface: multiple chessboards and utility pages can be opened simultaneously. You can for instance watch several tournament games concurrently, or analyze different variations. Pages can be switched by swiping left/right or by using the page list.
• Easy move list navigation with large previous/next buttons.
• A LCD chess clock modeled after real hardware, with sound and flag display.
• Configurable board and pieces appearance
• Non-disruptive in-game chat using a subwindow at the bottom of the chessboard.
• A scratch board for testing ideas and variations.
• A board editor for creating specific positions, which can be analyzed or played against an engine.
• A game database where all the games you have played or watched are saved. Saved games can be displayed, analyzed, or even replayed against an engine from any position. Moreover, you can view all the games you have played against a specific opponent.
• When a game starts, your personal record against your opponent is displayed. You can also view all the games you have played against that opponent.
• FEN support: copy/paste.
• PGN support: copy/paste, load/save.
• Edit variations, move annotations and comments.
• Full Chess960 support.
• Blindfold mode, using speech synthesis and an advanced speech recognizer (moves are recognized with near-perfect accuracy). This mode can be used with online games, engine games and tactical puzzles.
• Watch live games from major professional tournaments.
• First-class support for many chess server features: list games and watch other games, list users, display user information, display rankings, chat with a specific user or in public channels, edit finger notes.
• FICS/ICC timeseal support, for negating the effects of network lag.
• Premove support.
• Engine duels: have two engines fight eachother from the initial position or from any game position.
• Simuls: play simultaneous exhibitions against chess engines.
• Solve tactical puzzles of varying difficulty and import additional puzzles from PGN files.
• Share your games on social networks or via email.
• Advanced move indicators displaying engine evaluation scores.