BlackOut: Stay Focused and Block Distractions/Beat Cell Phone Addiction/Mobile Phone Addiction
Stay focused, block distractions and beat cell phone addiction/mobile phone addiction with BlackOut.
Have you ever felt like you need to take a break from your phone? Or that you suffer from cell phone addiction? Or that you also suffer from 'screen addiction'? Do you lack the ability to stay focused lately? Or maybe your phone is affecting your sleeping patterns, or your job? Mayb Quitting cold turkey can be really hard too.
While developing/maintaining Detox(another app that helps users stay focused) we got a lot of reviews and emails from users saying they wanted an app where they could specify a time frame that they would not be able to use their smartphone for. That’s where the idea for BlackOut originally came from. The concept is pretty barebones, you just open the app and select a starting time, finishing time and days of the week then activate the lock. During the period and days you select your phone will lock itself and you won’t be able to use it until the time period ends. The lock will keep repeating everyday(or for the days you selected) until you de-activate it, just like how an alarm works.
How To Use
• Open the app, make sure you accept the required overlay permission
• Tap the floating plus icon
• Select a start time
• Select a finish time
• Select the day/s of the week you want the app to operate for(can be everyday)
• Activate by turning the switch on in the list.
• Remember to de-activate if you don't want the lock to keep repeating.
• You can register up to 3 different time frames of up to 4 hours(each) for free.
• A simple way to help you beat phone addiction or get better sleep.
• Stay focused and get more done.
• Stops you from using your phone during a specified time frame.
• You can select the days that the lock will operate too, you could set it to only weekdays if that fits your schedule.
• Registering multiple locks is possible(unlimited for premium users)
• You can make emergency calls
• Premium users can receive calls easily too
• Locks that overlap two days(premium
• White list functionality(premium)
- People trying to beat cell phone addiction/screen addiction
- Students or workers that want to block out distractions
- People who are snubbing their loved ones
- People that want to stay focused and need an extra push
- People who want to reduce their screen time
- People who feel that have become anti-social because of their smart phone habits
- People who are scared they might have nomophobia
If you're new and having issues with BlackOut there are a few things to keep in mind:
• You need to set the time in 24 hour format(Ex. 11pm should be set as 23:00).
• BlackOut isn't always perfectly on time, it can be a couple of minutes late. This is to conserve battery. With this in mind there is not really any point setting a lock for only a small period like 3 minutes. There is a chance it won't activate for such a short period of time.
• If you are using a phone that has some kind of battery saver(STAMINA mode etc.) you will need to turn it off for BlackOut to be properly functional.
• If you are using a phone that has Doze you might need to turn Doze off for BlackOut. You can do this from your settings app.
• If your phone has some kind of white list for protected apps(Huawei etc), you will most likely need to add BlackOut to this list.
• If you're still having issues feel free to email us any time at firstname.lastname@example.org for troubleshooting help.
If you want to try our beta you can use this link:
If you have any issues feel free to email us at email@example.com. You can also easily send us an email from within the app. We would really like to hear about any ideas you have so feel free to pitch your ideas to us.